There are newer employer reviews for Dixon Hughes Goodman

Great workplace, limited exposure to areas

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman

Pros

Nice people, patient managers and employees are always willing to help

Cons

Don't cover a huge breadth of areas, so you can get pigeon holed.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Dixon Hughes Goodman (View Most Recent)

Comes across as great initially

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People seem nice at first which attracts you if you are a nice person
    Some managers and partners are very open to help
    Decent pay and benefits
    Great IT department

Cons

Very rigid in many areas
    They say they are open to ideas and question but when you actually offer them, you are looked down upon
    Just like any big firm they don't pay overtime so they have no incentive not to overwork you like crazy
    The firm and people in the firm act completely irrational at times
    They hate anything that may sound even remotely negative or critical

Be real and let others around you be real.

I learned a great deal about general accounting but ...

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman

Pros

- flex schedule
    - great learning environment if you work with the right in-charges
    - during tax season catered meals on Saturdays
    - if you are lucky can expect a great balance of work in both attestation and tax worlds that can further your non-public opportunities in the future (be aware though where the need is at the time as you are pushed to that direction whether you like it or not)

Cons

- the mentoring-coaching program needs some serious improvements
    - high degree of favoritism in the various departments and jobs even when you haven't had a chance of proving yourself or even work with certain managers (it's absurd though feeling like in school)
    - the workload is crazy and if you are doing well expect more to do and more complex projects (sometimes humans need a break after working 50-60 hours for several consecutive weeks and this is not even in tax season)
     I saw several comments about great benefits. I'm not sure about what one is talking. the 20 days vacation is actually PTO - this includes obviously sick, vacation and personal time off. It seems fantastic but when you are comparing it to working 60-70 hours for several months of the year (and by the way obviously you are not being compensated for overtime or weekends), it is not a lot at all and on top of that you have to make up the hours rather quickly - think about budgeted hours goals... and I also believe that the insurances offered are pretty standard too. 401K is Ok, at least we have it - have been working for couple years now and I still haven't seen a match...

please listen to your employees not only to the favorite ones - some of the people we lost would have been great opportunities to the company and we let them go. also, I don't think some managers/partners should be in-charges - if cannot let them go, please provide them more soft skills training and the consumate professional training would be good for them as well (I learned a lot about myself and things to do and not to do in general - it was a well-worthy training).

There are newer employer reviews for Dixon Hughes Goodman