There are newer employer reviews for Dofasco

An Intern's Review

Former Employee - Elecitrical Engineer Student in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Elecitrical Engineer Student in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Dofasco

Pros

Good combination of field work + office work. As a co-op, it is expected that you show a lot of initiative. Once you do that, there are various places to find your niche. Balance between field work and office work is great. Agree 100% with the old motto, "Our Strength Is Our People". Great people to work with.

Cons

Dirty, gritty environment. Coke dust seeps through ventilation in some parts of the plant. Too many 50 year old employees. And once these people start retiring, they aren't looking to replace them.

Encourage the younger people in the department. Give them more room to grow, and give them opportunities for promotion.

16 Other Employee Reviews for Dofasco (View Most Recent)

Good experience.

Current Employee - Rolling Team Operations in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Rolling Team Operations in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Dofasco as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good training, lots of stuff to learn. Shifts were hard at first but one you get use to them you never want to work anything else.

Cons

Nothing really bad to say, Just keep your nose clean and you will have success.

Workforce in constant flux

I worked at Dofasco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my experience, the benefits are pretty good, the corporate values and culture seem to be in the right place, people are helpful and nice, there's lots of training offered and you learn a lot from working there. I was quite happy for the most part.

Cons

People get shuffled around quite frequently, yet a lot of young people feel like they aren't being afforded the same kind of career mobility/advancement opportunities. There's a lack of transparency, in my personal experience everything was great on the surface, but then something happened. Also, older employees always talked about how it's not what it used to be and is going downhill. I experienced first hand some questionable leadership practices and can confirm that politics play a role. Work-life balance depends on if you work in manufacturing.

Be straight with your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Dofasco