There are newer employer reviews for Dolby

Under-Resourced in a Culture driven by Criticism and Distrust.

I worked at Dolby

Pros

Industry niche and company name recognition. Director level and below filled with good people who have great ideas, passion, commitment, execution and incredible self-sacrifice.

Cons

Self-Interest of paternalistic executives/senior leadership, who have a dismissive, condescending attitude towards the employees. High turnover/churn - people are treated as very disposable. Serious lack of work-life balance due to heavy workloads and resource constraints. Lots of internal pressure for the "next great product", plus infrastructure growing pains, plus re-orgs, plus churn, plus paternalistic leadership, make for a highly political, critical, and distrusting culture.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people, environment in need of a jumpstart

I have been working at Dolby

Pros

Dolby has great benefits and supportive teams. The people here re great and seem proud to work for this company.

Cons

There is a distinct lack of excitement, which is apparent since you'd expect a company that is well known for it's presence in the entertainment industry to be constantly engaging. Walk in the front door and there's nothing to indicate that we are an audio company.

Cool company (mix of movies and technology)

I worked at Dolby

Pros

Profitable company with worldwide presence. Culture was engineering focused and new products were being developed. Benefits package includes every other Friday off for the whole year. Leadership seemed to be improving communication and relaying goals more clearly. Most people in the org were easy going and interesting to work with.

Cons

The company is not well known in the bay area.  I worked in finance and there is a vp that not a good person to work for as there was no focus on career development and this person continually mistreated people and especially their own team-this person would threaten people bonuses in public, said horrible things about everyone, and was demeaning.  I would still recommend the company to those interested given the pros.   If you are looking for a finance job at Dolby beware given my comments..