There are newer employer reviews for Dolby

Marketing? Run away

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

every other Friday off and smart co workers

Cons

Recent changes to marketing have been disastrous resulting in a chaotic mess led by inexperienced power mad individuals who are way out of their depth. It was better under the last dictator and that was bad enough. Cannot believe it has got to this and not one of the executive leadership team is asking what is happening, no plans, no budgets and no hope on the horizon.This appalling mess should be scrapped and the marketing leadership fired. After more than a year still no CMO which is another failure by the exec team,by the time they find someone to take the job all the best talent will have gone. Do not take a job in marketing at Dolby. You have been warned. And yes I am interviewing for other gigs.

Accept marketing is screwed up and that there is no confidence in the GMLT. Hire a CMO fast. Stop kidding yourselves that this sick mess is working

140 Other Employee Reviews for Dolby (View Most Recent)

A sleeping giant with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than a year

Pros

The innovation in audio technology is sheer brilliance.

Cons

I feel that the technology and opportunities are there. But the company is slow to react to them. Too much political hoopla and not enough initiative.

The engineers are the ones who and will make this company great: take care of them and they will take care of the company.

Sad About this Company....

I have been working at Dolby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A full time job with benefits and salary in the city of San Francisco.

Cons

When I first started working at Dolby, I was really proud to tell people that I worked here. The bulk of my discussions and interactions with my colleagues were positive ones.
    Today, on the other hand, I’m somewhat ashamed of our company and the way that we're acting toward one and another - along with the way that we behave within the larger community.

Our Impact on SF:

Look for instance at the three blocks that we cover in San Francisco. The hill up to our Potrero parking lot is covered with garbage, shopping carts and homeless encampments. And as far as I can tell, we’ve done nothing to alleviate the suffering for the homeless in this area much less clear the garbage or even put in a security system for our employees trying to get to their cars after dark.

Walking in the other direction to our building at Brannan, one has to walk through shopping carts, garbage and worse. I know plenty of businesses all over San Francisco who take responsibility for the entire area around their business but we just don’t bother – so our workers and their visitors have to walk through this over and over. And we do nothing to improve the neighborhood for other San Franciscans.

Now, we have purchased a building on Market Street – what are we planning to do to truly benefit that area when we can’t be bothered to clean up the trash within fifty yards of our current properties?

Employee Well Being:

At this point in time, my colleagues and a multitude of workers are simply overworked. I watch as the number of acceptable working hours raises month after month – and as my co-workers become used to 10 and 12 work days. There is no sense that what we do is a “marathon” or that people’s lives outside of work truly matter. Co-workers snap at one another, and the number of times that I’ve heard the words “thank you” has diminished extraordinarily in the last 6 months especially.

Tearing Down our Workforce:

I haven’t experienced as much one-upsmanship since my Greek days at university. Someone is “all good” because they do one big deal – but they’re forgotten or even unceremoniously fired as soon as the next person comes in. I’ve watched wonderful employees be stamped upon as the next person and next ideas walk in the door.

We have the typical gossip – it’s human nature to dwell on the random extramarital affair or drunken gaff at a work function. But the majority of the gossip is about someone’s perceived incompetence – executives (young to be sure) harpooned for being awkward public speakers; outright criticism of a current or former employee in large meetings; one person throwing another under the bus in order to protect themselves during what feels like a really tenuous time (following up on perhaps the 4th or 4 re-orgs in so many years).

In this most recent round, many employees have been laid off or fired as we bring in “fresh” senior executives and consultants. Does this happen in a lot of companies? Of course. But I cannot imagine why we at Dolby are behaving this way. And I also can’t imagine that Ray Dolby or his son would be pleased to fully understand what we’re doing to people’s lives here.

Tell your employees thank you and coach them to say it to one another.

Insist on 8-9 hour work days - don't let junior employees be bullied by managers who care little for their quality of life.

Put legalities aside and apologize for 30 year career workers who you've laid off.

Think considerably about the cultural and historical institutional knowledge that you lose when you push workers out for outside hires & consultants. Weigh out morale and love for this great company versus short-term fears about financial success.

There are newer employer reviews for Dolby

Worked for Dolby? Contribute to the Community!