The job can be very stressful and take a negative toll on marriage and family life because the schedule changes a lot.

Current Employee - Third Key Manager
Current Employee - Third Key Manager

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

They tend to pay more than minimum wage. Times goes by fast because your usually very busy and you always have something to do. The store I work at has many regular customers who brighten your day when they walk in the door. Its an indoor job so whether its freezing or raining or 100 degrees outside, you are safe inside.

Cons

They are not very understanding about family emergencies, your health, and love loading you with way more than you can handle. Not all locations are like this but my particular store is. My boss never seems to be satisfied with anything we do and we work extremely hard! Forget about holidays or weekends with your family because our truck comes on Thursday and my boss is not good about rotating weekends and they give you a hard time if you request off even if its once in a blue moon. Oh, and they work you full time til their cut off limit and drop u down to part time for a week or two so they don't have to give you full time benefits!

Maybe give a lie detector test to store managers before you hire them? Lol because my boss is one heck of a liar! I am currently looking for somewhere else to transfer or another corporation to work for. The corporation itself isn't bad. Its the store managers they hire.

Other Reviews for Dollar General

Store Manager in two diferent Districts/Regions

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

"Okay" Pay
    Bonus Potential
    Decent Benefits (Insurance and 401k)
    Experience may get you to another job
    The people you work with - depending on area

Cons

5 1/2 days are expected (which turn into more like 6 days)
    Not enough Payroll hours
    The first district was very different than the second district I work in. My first DM was very reasonable and fair, even tough had high expectations

Too high expectations of Store Manager to make up he difference of lack of payroll
    These expectations include controlling shrink in stores with only ONE person (The MOD) on duty for several hours per day. Due to store locations and layour -- this is nearly an impossible task
    The second DM I worked with was like I was with a different company - they had very high turnover. This DM was not and effective leader -- and was costing the company money in the long run.

Having a great day!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Meeting new people and co-workers

Cons

the air conditions in some of the stores don't work

study guide

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!