There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

The job can be very stressful and take a negative toll on marriage and family life because the schedule changes a lot.

Current Employee - Third Key Manager
Current Employee - Third Key Manager

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

They tend to pay more than minimum wage. Times goes by fast because your usually very busy and you always have something to do. The store I work at has many regular customers who brighten your day when they walk in the door. Its an indoor job so whether its freezing or raining or 100 degrees outside, you are safe inside.

Cons

They are not very understanding about family emergencies, your health, and love loading you with way more than you can handle. Not all locations are like this but my particular store is. My boss never seems to be satisfied with anything we do and we work extremely hard! Forget about holidays or weekends with your family because our truck comes on Thursday and my boss is not good about rotating weekends and they give you a hard time if you request off even if its once in a blue moon. Oh, and they work you full time til their cut off limit and drop u down to part time for a week or two so they don't have to give you full time benefits!

Maybe give a lie detector test to store managers before you hire them? Lol because my boss is one heck of a liar! I am currently looking for somewhere else to transfer or another corporation to work for. The corporation itself isn't bad. Its the store managers they hire.

1089 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Having a great day!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Meeting new people and co-workers

Cons

the air conditions in some of the stores don't work

study guide

One of the rare places to work where hard work and accomplishments mean more than office politics.

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

This is a company with heart, that gives back to the community in countless ways. Management is respectful, the training programs are in depth and clear and the expectations are reasonable. The crews in the stores put their hearts into their work and advancement is steady, based on actual ability rather than "time spent" or being drinking buddies with the boss.

Cons

The assignment of managers (store, district, regional) is reactive rather than proactive. Some stores may have as many as 4 different managers during a year which can thwart the team building cycle from performing at peak levels and takes a toll on the morale of the crews at store level.

Consider mini management teams, with 2 or 3 managers partnering in adjacent locations so that when a store loses a manager to promotion, attrition vacation, the coverage is steady and predictable to the crews, minimizing the trauma to the workflow.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General