Don't do it.

Former Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL
Former Employee - Cashier in Oxford, AL

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were alright, although really only saw them during shift change. Hours were fairly regular.

Cons

You are always overworked. There was only ever two employees in my store, a cashier and the manager who was normally out of sight. The cashier would be in charge of running the register, stocking the shelves and cleaning the part of the store in view from the register (which was 4/5 of the store), and cleaning the parking lot and break room. You were never allowed to stand still, even if the store was empty and spotless. The register also required a manager's key for practically everything aside from swiping items and hitting the total. If you accidentally rung up something twice, find a manager. If the manager happens to be on a bank run or lunch when a customer decides they no longer want an item, you are locked out of the system until the manager comes back. Very poor management.

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. When promised something managers need to follow thru.

Current Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Ripon, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Ripon, CA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are awesome to work with.

Cons

Managers need to remember that employees are human. Saying please and Thank-you go along way. Even saying Hello when the employees walk in goes along way. After all we work hard, too! Stop treating us like we dont exsist.

Advice to Management

Managers need to manage the store instead of disappearing. Respond to the cashiers when you are called. Having to call a manager several times is disrespectful to not only the employees but to the customers who sometimes will leave when managers dont come. Don't stand around whispering with other managers about the employees. If you feel the need to talk about them, please do it behind closed doors. Not where customers or other employees can hear you.

good for experience

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Conemaugh, PA
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Conemaugh, PA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good for a first job, to gain experience thats about it. easy registers. chill at times. made a couple new friends. buy things on the clock.

Cons

district manager. horrible pay. 5 dollar off days. no help from managers. only 2 people working at a time. kids constantly coming in and cant get anything done and theyre stealing and we cant prove it cause none of the cameras work. the AC doesn't work half the time. old people coming in asking you the same thing everyday and if you say you dont know where its at since it moved they get mad.

Advice to Management

get a better district manager, and let only 1 kid in at a time.