There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Corporate is out of touch

Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great associates, live close, some awesome customers.

Cons

From the DM's on up are so out of touch with their employees that it's ashame. The air and phone in my store don't work. My sales (since I took over the store in Feb.) Have jumped to $1500. Over ly sales. " Not good enough" #1 in the district for customer satisfaction " still not good enough". DG is cutting labor hours, so all mgrs must work more. Two weeks ago I did 67 hrs last week 65 this week I'll end up with 69, they have you put their (legal) 1 hour in the computer. I don't know one mgr that works the 50 hrs matrix schedules, " that's a joke" no one from dms up want to hear what really happens in the store. I.E. why this pog or that endcap wasn't set. In the real world we have customers, vendors, an employee that called out, that all comes before the mag book. But they don't care about that. Its truly ashame that in the last couple years Ive seen numerous mgrs leave because of the way their treated. About 75% of the mgrs in my district are looking for other jobs. And it's not because of the hrs or the work we do, it's mainly because dms on up are s o out of touch and to say thank you would be literally like pulling teeth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your mgrs, ask them questions. Stop listening to the dms up that just sugar coat it. Acknowledge that the staff in the stores are the ones making all the billions for you. It's not all peachs and cream out here. Call a store and personally say thank you, let the store personal think you care about us ( even if you don't ).

reviews filtered by

DG is a pretty decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, SC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Directives are dummy proof, it is very difficult to "mess up" something.

Cons

The company expects A LOT from its managers.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries or decrease the amount of hours that SM's are required to work.

2. Great experience in all areas of retail.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Salina, KS

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get experience in budgeting, merchandising, hr, loss prevention. As a store manager you get to be involved in every part of the store. Also since such a small company you get closer with your customer base.

Cons

Due to being such a small company as a store manager if someone calls in then you have to work. Spend more time doing regular work and less managing.

Advice to Management

If you want to be a store manager that does more managing than actual work then Dollar General is not the company for you. If you like having small employee base and customer base then this is the company for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General