There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Corporate is out of touch

Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great associates, live close, some awesome customers.

Cons

From the DM's on up are so out of touch with their employees that it's ashame. The air and phone in my store don't work. My sales (since I took over the store in Feb.) Have jumped to $1500. Over ly sales. " Not good enough" #1 in the district for customer satisfaction " still not good enough". DG is cutting labor hours, so all mgrs must work more. Two weeks ago I did 67 hrs last week 65 this week I'll end up with 69, they have you put their (legal) 1 hour in the computer. I don't know one mgr that works the 50 hrs matrix schedules, " that's a joke" no one from dms up want to hear what really happens in the store. I.E. why this pog or that endcap wasn't set. In the real world we have customers, vendors, an employee that called out, that all comes before the mag book. But they don't care about that. Its truly ashame that in the last couple years Ive seen numerous mgrs leave because of the way their treated. About 75% of the mgrs in my district are looking for other jobs. And it's not because of the hrs or the work we do, it's mainly because dms on up are s o out of touch and to say thank you would be literally like pulling teeth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your mgrs, ask them questions. Stop listening to the dms up that just sugar coat it. Acknowledge that the staff in the stores are the ones making all the billions for you. It's not all peachs and cream out here. Call a store and personally say thank you, let the store personal think you care about us ( even if you don't ).

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. Career ended before it got off the ground

Former Employee - Store Manager in Iron River, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Iron River, MI

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful store, great customers, co workers, descent pay. Wish I could've stayed and grew with the company

Cons

Wish I could've known more as far as graphing /charting~feel more confident where to get the information needed. I had to quit because I couldn't get to Chicago for training due to vehicle problems. At least I got to start up a brand new store & get it off the ground.Wish I could've stayed and grew with the company but there was no compromising the issue

Advice to Management

Teach more of where to get the information regarding business standings

DG is a pretty decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, SC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Directives are dummy proof, it is very difficult to "mess up" something.

Cons

The company expects A LOT from its managers.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries or decrease the amount of hours that SM's are required to work.