There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Being a store manager means you are married to your store!!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the most part, your DM will leave you alone and you are free to run the store.

Cons

Horrible hours! I was told 48 hours and 5.5 days a week. I consistently work 65-70 hours a week. I am in the store on many days for 5 hours alone. I am given little to no payroll which lives most of the stocking, planograms, endcaps and recovery, to me. Bases on my yearly salary and the hours I work, I make just over $9.00. And forget even being able to enjoy the one day off a week, I have to turn my phone off to get any peace!!!

Invest in a little more payroll. You have done many studies on the affects of turnover when you loose a store manager. Why don't you invest in your biggest assets? Your store managers!!!!!

1071 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Fulfilling

Current Employee - Former Store Manager Currently An ASM in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Former Store Manager Currently An ASM in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, merchandising opportunity, fast advancement

Cons

Low pay, overworked managers, high turnover

Consider paying more to hourly associates

Company expects to much with very little payroll

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sherrill, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Sherrill, NY

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company, easy to run a store

Cons

Employee turnover, to many tasks to complete within required timeframe, not enough labor hours=employee turnover, Store Manager getting burned out, and poor employee morale. When you have shrink problems, their answer to everything is "your employees are stealing" yet there is no proof to back that theory. receiving procedures of truck deliveries need to change. There is no possible way to tell if you are getting shorted merchandise when deliveries come in under current recieving procedures. Company expects Store Manager to work 6 days per week, they say it is 5 and a half, If I am driving to the store 6 days a week, I am working 6 days a week, not 5.5. They like to sugarcoat everything to make it sound different and better that what it actually is.

You are causing your stores to have shrink issues by your own policies. Not enough labor hours equals poor employee morale, external theft, high employee turnover. Employees cannot live on 8 to 12 hours a week. Stores run on skeleton crews. You ever wonder why 70% of your stores have shrink issue, and those are the reasons why. When there is only 1 or 2 employees in the stores, we cannot watch and follow everyone around You say 70% of theft is caused internally, how do you get that number? It's 70% just because you say it is. You say the distribution center is 99% accurate at picking orders, it's 99% accurate just because you say it is. By far one of the worst managed companies I have ever seen. It's only a matter of time to see this chain die

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General