There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Ok company to work for, not enough money for the hours

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Ponca City, OK
Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Ponca City, OK

I worked at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always something to do and the people were friendly.

Cons

Lack of hours and income

Advice to Management

Management should screen Store Managers more closely

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. Wasn't too bad starting off, but it kept going downhill.

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Saint Albans, WV
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Saint Albans, WV

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting job. Nice co-workers. (When they weren't talking behind your back.) Flexible schedule. Possibility to move up. (Due to everyone quitting.) .25 cent raise every year. Customers weren't too bad.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Minimum wage starting off. No discounts, benefits are minimal. Very unprofessional. Store was always dirty. Constant theft, minimal cameras, managers never do anything even when reporting shrink. Low security. Left safe without a door for months, and no lock on office door. Managers and employees always stressed. Often only two people working, not enough to get much done. Not enough hours given to the store, not allowed overtime. Always get called in on your days off. Minimal communication. Discontinued ".01 cent" items are to be destroyed and thrown away. Wasteful. The store was always HOT, try working in 100 degree weather with no A/C. Get written up for mundane things. Got fired two days before my paid vacation time! This company is CHEAP, they do anything to save a dollar. Overall chaotic.

Advice to Management

Up the pay a little and give the stores more hours to work with. Lower your expectations to a reasonable level and let more people work, 2 people can't do the work of 4 people. Increase communication, that'd help a little. These people need a better work environment, stop being so cheap!

2. Corporate is out of touch

Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Brooksville, FL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great associates, live close, some awesome customers.

Cons

From the DM's on up are so out of touch with their employees that it's ashame. The air and phone in my store don't work. My sales (since I took over the store in Feb.) Have jumped to $1500. Over ly sales. " Not good enough" #1 in the district for customer satisfaction " still not good enough". DG is cutting labor hours, so all mgrs must work more. Two weeks ago I did 67 hrs last week 65 this week I'll end up with 69, they have you put their (legal) 1 hour in the computer. I don't know one mgr that works the 50 hrs matrix schedules, " that's a joke" no one from dms up want to hear what really happens in the store. I.E. why this pog or that endcap wasn't set. In the real world we have customers, vendors, an employee that called out, that all comes before the mag book. But they don't care about that. Its truly ashame that in the last couple years Ive seen numerous mgrs leave because of the way their treated. About 75% of the mgrs in my district are looking for other jobs. And it's not because of the hrs or the work we do, it's mainly because dms on up are s o out of touch and to say thank you would be literally like pulling teeth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your mgrs, ask them questions. Stop listening to the dms up that just sugar coat it. Acknowledge that the staff in the stores are the ones making all the billions for you. It's not all peachs and cream out here. Call a store and personally say thank you, let the store personal think you care about us ( even if you don't ).