Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Hopefully my former store has improved

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Campobello, SC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Campobello, SC

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They pay by either direct deposit or a money card (debit card) and encourage you to check after them if hours and pay aren't adding up. You definitely get a handle on mutli-tasking and the most efficient ways to stock shelves & clean the store. Training videos teach you how to do just about everything in their preferred way. There is rarely a dull moment.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate. I was just a summer employee before I went off to college, but by the time I got back for Christmas break, only one of my former co-workers was still employed in the store. Often I didn't know my schedule for the next week until the night before. It seemed that we ran on a skeleton crew and I was always needed in two or places at once. I hope it has gotten better!

Take great care in hiring managers who are tactful with customers and employees, can make wise decisions about hiring employees to avoid having to fire or force resignation, and who are timely in posting the work schedule.

1304 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Working for this Company is a big mistake

Current Employee - Buyer in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the headquarters has a really nice cafeteria and health club. offices are also ok. Underground parking is a plus in bad weather

Cons

no resources to do your work, company expects buyers and senior buyers to perform clerical functions as the company uses software and category management tools from 1980. They are just now looking at implementing new software to bring the company current. Company is also focused on pushing for growth at all costs. No regard to employee thoughts on resources, only on end result.

Top heavy management and no administrative or clerical resources. DG was fortunate that KKR assisted the company to grow at a time the economy was in awful shape, it is not the management of DG that delivered the growth. It was timing. If you don't think about your associates and the amount of work they have to do, it will ultimately result in declines

Don't be a Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Monroe, LA

I worked at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay if you don't count the hours worked.

Cons

70 hours, 6 & 7 days per week. Managers are paid a salary and there are managers that barely make or don't make min wage. Upped the basket count (average sale per customer) from $6.15 per basket to $8.00 in five months and my DM said I didn't get it. They are always looking to terminate a store manager and recruit your staff to spy on you.

Support you Store Managers and budget enough hours to get the job done.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General