There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Great place but expectations are WAY too high

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in North Bend, OH
Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in North Bend, OH

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great starting pay with decent hours - Opportunity for advancement in position - Fast-paced - Having only 8 employees makes it easier to remember names - Awesome job to get yourself into the American workforce

Cons

- Too little time to do SOOO much work - its not easy working with employees above you that do not perform as well - pay should be performance based after first annual review - sometimes telling management about problems with other employees does absolutely nothing - no part-time key holder position; there should be one for those that perform exceptionally well but are not required to have immediate availability at all times like a regular key holder would. - Very little recognition for good performance

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales associates more. We see everything as it happens and have plenty of good idea's to fix problems or improve the work flow in the store. Be considerate of the relationships between your employee's. They can get a bit sketchy sometimes and create serious problems. Lastly, change the VOID process back to not needing a key. It holds up the line and people get pissed off when i have to wait for the manager to come up to void it and if the manager is gone then we are left helpless with nothing to do except tell the customer that we cannot take it off. That will lead to an increase in refunds ( I know this first-hand).

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

horrible

Current Employee - Store Manager in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great start pay and paid training . you get paid every week

Cons

employee's stealing , too much work on one person

Advice to Management

be more reasonable

2. Not hard to do but sometimes hard to go up.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lebanon, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and easy to work in without having to remember 100 employees names like you would in walmart. laid back in some cases but still professional and makes it easier on the customers if you hate the "Big Box" feel.

Cons

Its hard to meet the demands at times but its much easier than the big box stores. Can be stressful when the head honcho comes to see the store.

Advice to Management

Smaller stores need more hours too so we can get our jobs done and keep the place afloat! But you do keep the demands on us down to very manageable levels which makes for (usually) happy managers not being stressed to the core.