There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

one of the worst jobs i've ever had

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Natrona, PA
Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Natrona, PA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for more than a year

Pros

the customers are honestly the best part. i love meeting new people and having conversations with them. if it wasn't for my manager, i'd love my job.

Cons

manager creates your schedule on whether you make her angry the week before or not. she has also stolen merchandise, has left milk out on the sales floor to spoil, and is continually rude to customers. she is very condescending.

seriously listen to the complaints by employees. we called many times about our manager and NOTHING was done, but was told it was going to be "investigated". your company is corrupt and it needs to be fixed.

1022 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

I loved my job.Had i been treated better,and fairly,i would happily still be working there.

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier  in  Sharon, TN
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Sharon, TN

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a new, much needed store in our small town.Most employees were new & we were very proud of how clean & orderly our store was.Most worked very will together,helped each other.Our customers commented on how much neater our store was than others in the area.

Cons

The workload should be shared equally & fairly.It is anything but. I was fired,and it was determined by unemployment that I had done nothing wrong. Though it appears that I have been blackballed now.

If you are going to hold cashiers responsible for the money in their cash drawer, LET THEM COUNT IT !! I know this is all on video,but there is no camera going through the breakroom to get to the office.Any management person can take money from a drawer!

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dollar General stores serve all walks of life.

Cons

Where do I begin. Payroll is always an issue. Store Managers are given enough hours to have maybe three employees working per day. My store was making over 40,000 a week, and yet I was forced to work every morning from open until noon by myself, just to make payroll. This company treats salaried managers as slaves. In the job description, you are required to work 51/2 days......a nice way to say you will only have one day off a week, if that. Planograms change weekly, as well as weekly inventory adjustments and stocking of the weekly freight. Every week my store would receive between 1,000-1500 items on the truck. These 1500 items had to be stocked in two days times. With the limited payroll, you would be lucky to have one other person help you, the store manager, stock your store. It is a non-stop job. There is constant turnover in stores, so your staff will always be pulled to work at other stores, leaving you short for your business. A typical week for me involved recieveing the truck on saturdays, working freight on sundays and mondays, conference call on tuesday, wednesday and friday, inventory adjustments on the entire store on wednesday, continued restocking on thursday and friday, not including setting weekly sale stickers, monthly promotional stickers, changing as many as three planograms a week, on top of normal duties, including deposits and scheduling. Every day you will have a list of things to do involving price changes as well. One day, at my store, I received the task of changing every single price in the store, as part of a price conversion initiative.....I had only 8 hours to do this....by myself. If you work for this company, be prepared to work open to close almost every day. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE.

Honestly, I have no advice. They know what they are doing, and there is to much to fix.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!