There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

one of the worst jobs i've ever had

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Natrona, PA
Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Natrona, PA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the customers are honestly the best part. i love meeting new people and having conversations with them. if it wasn't for my manager, i'd love my job.

Cons

manager creates your schedule on whether you make her angry the week before or not. she has also stolen merchandise, has left milk out on the sales floor to spoil, and is continually rude to customers. she is very condescending.

Advice to Management

seriously listen to the complaints by employees. we called many times about our manager and NOTHING was done, but was told it was going to be "investigated". your company is corrupt and it needs to be fixed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A former assistant manager

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paid weekly but not very good pay

Cons

slave drivers, one of the worst companies to work for.. they don't pay for training or travel time. die from the heat in the summer months and freeze in the winter. Wrongly accuse workers of stealing, then tell them what to write and where to initial when they fire them....BULLIES

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dollar General stores serve all walks of life.

Cons

Where do I begin. Payroll is always an issue. Store Managers are given enough hours to have maybe three employees working per day. My store was making over 40,000 a week, and yet I was forced to work every morning from open until noon by myself, just to make payroll. This company treats salaried managers as slaves. In the job description, you are required to work 51/2 days......a nice way to say you will only have one day off a week, if that. Planograms change weekly, as well as weekly inventory adjustments and stocking of the weekly freight. Every week my store would receive between 1,000-1500 items on the truck. These 1500 items had to be stocked in two days times. With the limited payroll, you would be lucky to have one other person help you, the store manager, stock your store. It is a non-stop job. There is constant turnover in stores, so your staff will always be pulled to work at other stores, leaving you short for your business. A typical week for me involved recieveing the truck on saturdays, working freight on sundays and mondays, conference call on tuesday, wednesday and friday, inventory adjustments on the entire store on wednesday, continued restocking on thursday and friday, not including setting weekly sale stickers, monthly promotional stickers, changing as many as three planograms a week, on top of normal duties, including deposits and scheduling. Every day you will have a list of things to do involving price changes as well. One day, at my store, I received the task of changing every single price in the store, as part of a price conversion initiative.....I had only 8 hours to do this....by myself. If you work for this company, be prepared to work open to close almost every day. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I have no advice. They know what they are doing, and there is to much to fix.