Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Easy job but very disorganize

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oneonta, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oneonta, NY

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

easy, relaxed, easygoing, fun, fine

Cons

pay, organization, limited resources, 6am shifts

1289 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Good starting job, poor work environment

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Newburgh, IN
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Newburgh, IN

I worked at Dollar General part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Good starting out job
    Nice customers
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Stressful work environment
    Unstable hours
    Unorganized management

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dollar General stores serve all walks of life.

Cons

Where do I begin. Payroll is always an issue. Store Managers are given enough hours to have maybe three employees working per day. My store was making over 40,000 a week, and yet I was forced to work every morning from open until noon by myself, just to make payroll. This company treats salaried managers as slaves. In the job description, you are required to work 51/2 days......a nice way to say you will only have one day off a week, if that. Planograms change weekly, as well as weekly inventory adjustments and stocking of the weekly freight. Every week my store would receive between 1,000-1500 items on the truck. These 1500 items had to be stocked in two days times. With the limited payroll, you would be lucky to have one other person help you, the store manager, stock your store. It is a non-stop job. There is constant turnover in stores, so your staff will always be pulled to work at other stores, leaving you short for your business. A typical week for me involved recieveing the truck on saturdays, working freight on sundays and mondays, conference call on tuesday, wednesday and friday, inventory adjustments on the entire store on wednesday, continued restocking on thursday and friday, not including setting weekly sale stickers, monthly promotional stickers, changing as many as three planograms a week, on top of normal duties, including deposits and scheduling. Every day you will have a list of things to do involving price changes as well. One day, at my store, I received the task of changing every single price in the store, as part of a price conversion initiative.....I had only 8 hours to do this....by myself. If you work for this company, be prepared to work open to close almost every day. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE.

Honestly, I have no advice. They know what they are doing, and there is to much to fix.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General