There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Good for illegals and high school dropouts. Unrealistic expectations.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it pays...something.
You get to wear black jeans.

Cons

Im convinced if they could get away with paying less than minimum wage they would.
Management is totally disorganized.
Employees are treated like criminals. 70% of shrink is caused by employees they say. While real customer theft is basically ignored.
Schedule is not posted untill one day, sometimes only hours before your shift.
If you work at breakneck speed, risking injurty, ignoring customers, and never taking breaks, then you will still not get done whats expected of you.
Took a month to get my first pay check.
Will complentent you one day for doing so well, then treaten to cut your hours the next day for not doing the impossible.

Advice to Management

Get real!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cocoa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cocoa, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some of the people you got to meet.

Cons

They think all employees are thieves. I had gotten hurt on the job. Paid all my own medical myself. Did not go on workers comp. Gave managament 2 months notice that I was not coming back. 2 years later thinking I did every thing right found out I had been black listed.

Advice to Management

To the DM and RM you have good employees working for you. Do not work your people into a grave. Like so many that I know that are on disabilty because of over work pulling 16 + hour shifts because of cut hours. Take care of the people and they will take care of the company.

Working for this Company is a big mistake

Current Employee - Buyer in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the headquarters has a really nice cafeteria and health club. offices are also ok. Underground parking is a plus in bad weather

Cons

no resources to do your work, company expects buyers and senior buyers to perform clerical functions as the company uses software and category management tools from 1980. They are just now looking at implementing new software to bring the company current. Company is also focused on pushing for growth at all costs. No regard to employee thoughts on resources, only on end result.

Advice to Management

Top heavy management and no administrative or clerical resources. DG was fortunate that KKR assisted the company to grow at a time the economy was in awful shape, it is not the management of DG that delivered the growth. It was timing. If you don't think about your associates and the amount of work they have to do, it will ultimately result in declines