I personally did not like it

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Thomasville, NC
Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Thomasville, NC

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

i did receive some experience

Cons

Some of the managers lie

Other Reviews for Dollar General

DG values neither employees nor customers

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No experience necessary to be hired in.

Cons

Lack of benefits, lack of hours, lack of opportunity, lack of training, lack of support, high pressure. In most stores I know of, cashiers get between 10 to 20 hours a week. The schedule changes from week to week, and employees usually don't get any advance notice of what days and hours they will be needed. This makes planning impossible - impossible to have a 2nd job, impossible to plan for family gatherings.

There's not much difference between 3rd key, assistant manager, and manager, in most stores. Corporate has slashed payroll hours, and increased responsibilities, until all three positions do pretty much the same level of work, and different levels of pay. 3rd key and assistant managers are considered full time, yet rarely get 40 hours of pay. The so called benefits available to employees at that level are laughable, to the point of being insulting. It would be interesting to know how many of the employees actually utilize those benefits, and why the ones who don't, do not.

Corporate micromanages. I had more freedom as a manager of a gas station, than the managers of DG have. I also had a whole lot less headache.

Ever since the leveraged buyout in 2007, this company has gone down hill. The employees see it, and the customers are seeing it, too.

Value your employees, and show them that you value them. You talk a fine game, but we all know it's all about the bottom line / share holders.

Exhausting

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to get hired since they go through employees like water. Are you breathing? Relativly drug free? Hired!

Cons

Near impossible expectations if you have a store outside normal parameters. Required to stay on site during unpaid lunch break.

Go work in a store during the first week of the month when pension and ss checks are paid. Try to set all new 1st of the month MAG plus 5 planograms plus a 300+ piece TPR plus stay there all night while floors are being cleaned all while waiting on 500+ customers BY YOURSELF 5 hours a day. Made 31,900 for 50 scheduled hours wich are often 55-60 hours and per hour cashiers make more.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!