There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

I personally did not like it

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Thomasville, NC
Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Thomasville, NC

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

i did receive some experience

Cons

Some of the managers lie

1022 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Dollar General demands too much of employees

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Grand Island, NE
    Former Employee - General Manager in Grand Island, NE

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, customers, small town environment.

Cons

Very little allowance for staffing, not enough time to get things done, poor benefits. These stores also have rampant theft issues which is very difficult to get under control with very limited staffing.

More staffing needs to be added to stores, managers have a lot on their plates as is and shouldn't be required to work six days a week every week.

DG values neither employees nor customers

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No experience necessary to be hired in.

Cons

Lack of benefits, lack of hours, lack of opportunity, lack of training, lack of support, high pressure. In most stores I know of, cashiers get between 10 to 20 hours a week. The schedule changes from week to week, and employees usually don't get any advance notice of what days and hours they will be needed. This makes planning impossible - impossible to have a 2nd job, impossible to plan for family gatherings.

There's not much difference between 3rd key, assistant manager, and manager, in most stores. Corporate has slashed payroll hours, and increased responsibilities, until all three positions do pretty much the same level of work, and different levels of pay. 3rd key and assistant managers are considered full time, yet rarely get 40 hours of pay. The so called benefits available to employees at that level are laughable, to the point of being insulting. It would be interesting to know how many of the employees actually utilize those benefits, and why the ones who don't, do not.

Corporate micromanages. I had more freedom as a manager of a gas station, than the managers of DG have. I also had a whole lot less headache.

Ever since the leveraged buyout in 2007, this company has gone down hill. The employees see it, and the customers are seeing it, too.

Value your employees, and show them that you value them. You talk a fine game, but we all know it's all about the bottom line / share holders.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!