There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Career growth and opportunity in an organization dedicated to SERVING OTHERS!

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New Orleans, LA
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company really honors their mission of serving others. Not only serving the communities they are in, but their employees, the military (active and reserves) and national-guard. Dollar General affords anyone with the desire to work hard and grow with many opportunities for advancement, both in traditional and non-traditional ways. People who come to work for Dollar General have the ability to make this their lifelong career. It would surprise many how many “corporate” people started out as employees in the stores. Dedication, hard work and determination payoff!!

Cons

There really isn’t much negative about the company, even though they are growing at an amazing pace in these tough economic times, they still have the ability to stay connected to their store employees and take critical feedback.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!! You continue to make the right changes to continue supporting our small towns and communities as an EDLP leader and role model for other organizations with the DG Literacy Foundation and Employee Assistance Program.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Preferred Employer, Many Opportunities

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros

-Dollar General's growth
    -Focus on promotiong internal candidates
    -Service minded mission, many opportunities to give back
    -Great human resources support

I am a current employee at Dollar General's corporate office. I have enjoyed my time at the company because of the work I do and the people with whom I work. My supervisors have been focused on developing my skills as a professional. Dollar General HR also offers many professional development courses, programs throughout each year.

Cons

-Salaries at lower level jobs are not very competitive
    -Field employees have little back up, support from their supervisors
    -Dollar General is a huge, succesful company that still acts like a small, family owned business sometimes
    -Too much focus on cutting costs across all areas and not enough on improving areas that are struggling and need improvements

Advice to Management

-Listen to the crticisim you receive and make plans to address the areas that need your attention
    -Focus more on our current stores and making them better and less on opening another 600 stores in 2014

Dollar General is the best employer I have ever had!

Current Employee - MGT in East Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - MGT in East Columbus, OH

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit package, compensation, wonderful Team environment, and opportunites for advancement are available if you desire to move up.

Cons

Some days are very stressful, but you will most likely encounter that in any job.

Advice to Management

Need to continue to consider the people and not just numbers. Happy employees produce more, miss less work, and tell others about their positive experience. This results in retention.