There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

We think a lot of ourselves. Sorry if the company treats you like crap. We were busy serving others....

Current Employee - Director in Goodlettsville, TN
Current Employee - Director in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong business performance (until this quarter), many nice people at HQ; If you're an executive, you're doing really well. Just look at the 30 or 40 $100k+ cars in the first level of the parking garage. Must be nice. Love the parking garages at work. Beautiful vistas from the HQ buildings look into nothing special, but they're beautifully placed on the ridge

Cons

Then there's the rest of us. As you'll see, DG does not pay very well. The company values mean nothing beyond words. There are lots of company politics, lying, cheating and playing games with the livelihood of the employees and all the contractors we work to death. DG is also very reluctant to promote minorities/gays/women into upper levels of management. It feels to me like a lot of the inclusive messages in the office are really just mandates from or cover against the latest lawsuit from an employee. We seem to have a new lawsuit every year. We treat our employees like our customers. Disposable labor, next in line. No flex time. No working from home. Butt in chair at 7 or 8AM. No time for a life outside work.

Advice to Management

Serving others=screwing poor people and patting ourselves on the back about how sad their lives are. It's so pious for such a secular, immoral group of "leaders." Egotistical, rich, and out of touch are 3 ways to describe senior "leaders" (a.k.a. the old white guy's club). DG= $16B, Walmart $465B Don't buy into the hype. We act like a small town dollar store because that's what we are. That's all it'll ever be, unless you're one of the execs. Rick Dreiling made $16,000,000 last year. Way to go Dick.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A tough workplace in a tough industry

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good place to learn hands-on management of a retail store if you don't have much experience. You are responsible for doing everything that needs to be done -- from unloading a semi to stocking the shelves, running a register, and cleaning the store.

Cons

Long hours with little labor budget to schedule help so you are responsible for anything and everything that needs to be done. The problem here is that unless you are in a larger-volume store, you will be working by yourself many hours each week in a 7200+ square-foot store with 12,000 Sku or more. Besides the volume of work that needs to be done, think about the safety and security issues that arise from this kind of labor model.

Advice to Management

Increase the labor budget and give all managers the chance to succeed without having to give up everything else in their life.

In ten years I have, almost entirely, worked with individuals and groups who strive to make the worker easier and fun.

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and discounts for all employees are very good. Many in upper management have lenghty tenure with DG and have the expereience necessary to keep moving forward.

Cons

We are a low cost operator and all employees must work at 90% or above to meet deadlins/goals. If one or two lag behind, than some tasks are not finished in time and others must work harder. Some front line managers are not skilled at dealing with productivity issues.

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of new store openings and concentrate on existing stores to ensure all buildings are meeting the expectations of the customers/employees in terms of HVAC, water, maintenance, etc. Hire minors in many states other than Michigan.