Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

We think a lot of ourselves. Sorry if the company treats you like crap. We were busy serving others....

Current Employee - Director in Goodlettsville, TN
Current Employee - Director in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong business performance (until this quarter), many nice people at HQ; If you're an executive, you're doing really well. Just look at the 30 or 40 $100k+ cars in the first level of the parking garage. Must be nice.

Love the parking garages at work. Beautiful vistas from the HQ buildings look into nothing special, but they're beautifully placed on the ridge

Cons

Then there's the rest of us.

As you'll see, DG does not pay very well.

The company values mean nothing beyond words. There are lots of company politics, lying, cheating and playing games with the livelihood of the employees and all the contractors we work to death.

DG is also very reluctant to promote minorities/gays/women into upper levels of management.

It feels to me like a lot of the inclusive messages in the office are really just mandates from or cover against the latest lawsuit from an employee. We seem to have a new lawsuit every year. We treat our employees like our customers. Disposable labor, next in line.

No flex time. No working from home. Butt in chair at 7 or 8AM. No time for a life outside work.

Serving others=screwing poor people and patting ourselves on the back about how sad their lives are. It's so pious for such a secular, immoral group of "leaders." Egotistical, rich, and out of touch are 3 ways to describe senior "leaders" (a.k.a. the old white guy's club).

DG= $16B, Walmart $465B

Don't buy into the hype. We act like a small town dollar store because that's what we are. That's all it'll ever be, unless you're one of the execs. Rick Dreiling made $16,000,000 last year. Way to go Dick.

1244 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Love this Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great upper management and the company is always moving forward.

Cons

No work/life balance the stores are too understaffed due to low associate pay.

A lot of work for not a lot of money.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General part-time

Pros

Easy to talk to HR. Easy to understand logistics.

Cons

Too much workload for one person. Not enough employees. Store is dirty and you have zero time to clean it. Customer service is lacking. No A/C. No water fountain. No breaks except for lunch unless you're a smoker.

Make sure that stores are hiring the right amount of people. There are supposed to be 6 more people at the store that I work at. No one has been hired and I've worked there three months.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General