Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com

Not a career; just a way to barely make it

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsIt's a good starting point in retail. Allows one to gain multi-dimensional experience in retail environment (cashiers are expected to stock and recover during shifts and solely stock and fixture in other, etc..). Gives one a basic foundation in a grocery retail environment.

ConsVast environmental inconsistencies: Store traffic, customer base, employee demographic, management styles, store efficiency, staff rules and training.
Lack of register autonomy: Cashiers have to have a supervisor (key holder) void out items which happens quite frequently because corporate seldomly gives resources for managers to post actual price match. Corporate charges higher amounts on register than what is posted on shelf. Inventory and stock inconsistency and disarray which results in hazardous and inefficient store and stock room conditions. Corporate offers little, if any, financial support to its store, meaning practically everything comes out of a store's overhead which is the same place employees hours come from. This leads to understaffing which results in shrinkage, slow product placement, and ultimately customer dissatisfaction.

In particular, my store's helium "machine" has been without a nozzle for about 5 months with no resolution in sight. We can't sell the balloons, which can be hot sellers during certain holidays, However, the recent malfunctions of our money counter present more serious implications and difficulties (closers get out much later which isn't usually accounted for in scheduling). Scheduling has also been somewhat inconsistent for me, but is much worse for my co-workers. When our manager finally hired an AM and an additional key holder, it resulted in hour cuts for PT associates because management positions are FT and higher pay (which comes from our overhead). Working conditions can be adversely affected by limited overhead (like lack of necessary hygienic amenities in the restroom, break room, and store as a whole to working in unhealthy conditions due to a broken AC or heating unit),

For a $10 billion dollar revenue from a company which seems to be trying to keep the general store concept alive, it shows little appreciation for its PT associates by not even offering any sort of employee discount, or any service member/senior discount for that matter, or basic benefits. Cashiers can be penalized by the number of voids they make on their registers (due to their pricing inconsistencies). Corporate's pressures on management ultimately reflects on us, the bottom of the totem pole, who represent the greatest number of their employees who also interact the most with their products as well as customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefer to the cons. Help local stores with overhead. Offer some sort of in-store employee discount if we can't get a decent/livable hourly wage. I know we're unskilled labor to you, but a little appreciation shown towards your associates can only make them better represent the DG brand. When employees don't feel remotely appreciated or even respected by you it's going to reflect in your stores. Customer loyalty is a significant proportion of DG's business and many of us develop close relationships with our local patrons who could find similar or lower prices somewhere else. As a customer, why would I want to go to a haphazard retail establishment when there is a similar company across the street with the same "deals," especially when I have to wait an extra 10 minutes waiting to have an item voided off my order because the price didn't match? I've never encountered this sort of inconvenience at any other retailer.

could do better with employees

Store Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros: Paid Weekly and that's about it Cons: Averaging 8-10 associates per store - only allocated 140-160 hours per week payroll. Meaning all staff except Asst Mgr are part-time possibly only working 5-15… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees much better. Staff can't live on 5 hours per week and be fully available to come in at a moment's notice. They… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Unhappy

Store Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros: Dollar stores are not going out of business any time… Cons: Those at the top are the only ones makig money. No employee discounts at the stores. Often only one employee in the… Advice to Senior Management: At least provide a safe working store. There is a lot of security at the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Dollar General.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!