Very hostile work environment- both physically and psychologically

Current Employee - Third Key  in  Fredericksburg, VA
Current Employee - Third Key in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are desperate for money and have NO OTHER choices

Cons

Misled during interview- they told me what I wanted to hear to get me in the door. Manager and Assistant NEVER close the store. ALWAYS left to 3rd key to do. Management never works past 12pm on the weekend. Retaliatory environment, ask a question about lack of training to HR , next week hours cut to 20 and under very hostile and unfriendly. Really do not live the core Dollar General values they post on the wall in the break room, Pay is poor for what a 3rd key is expected to do. Ten cents an hour more than a regular cashier.

When an associate calls the District HR to discuss concerns, the HR is supposed to follow up. Not take the word of the manager that all will be handled in accordance with company policy. My manager made sure to let me know (smiling all the while) that they were the trainer for district managers , & ALL as well as letting me know that everyone who works there feels like I was "out to get the manager"because I called HR concerned about lack of training received. I was forced to close the store on my 4th night- with one other associate- after the Assistant told me she would rearrange the schedule because I was no where near ready to assume the responsibility. She was not true to her word- she did what was convenient to her because she doesn't want to close the store-apparently doesn't have transportation at night. (That is usually a requirement to be a member of management in retail) If you computer test your associates on procedures, and functions, why then don't you TRAIN them formally on the computer how to do these daily requirements like every other retailer out there, including WalMart? If you want quality people, you have to treat them with respect,train them PROPERLY and hold your management accountable ,( instead of letting them do whatever they like , and working whatever schedules suit them , and acting like school bullies when someone tries to ask for help).I am seeking another job, and when I find it, I will not give more than 1 minutes notice before handing over the keys. , I will return the favor of being forced to stay in the store, unable to leave because there is no other management there, with no lunch because no one bothered to disclose this little bit of information.