Dollar General
www.dollargeneral.com Goodlettsville, TN 5000+ Employees

Very hostile work environment- both physically and psychologically

Third Key (Current Employee)
Fredericksburg, VA

ProsIf you are desperate for money and have NO OTHER choices

ConsMisled during interview- they told me what I wanted to hear to get me in the door. Manager and Assistant NEVER close the store. ALWAYS left to 3rd key to do. Management never works past 12pm on the weekend. Retaliatory environment, ask a question about lack of training to HR , next week hours cut to 20 and under very hostile and unfriendly. Really do not live the core Dollar General values they post on the wall in the break room, Pay is poor for what a 3rd key is expected to do. Ten cents an hour more than a regular cashier.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an associate calls the District HR to discuss concerns, the HR is supposed to follow up. Not take the word of the manager that all will be handled in accordance with company policy. My manager made sure to let me know (smiling all the while) that they were the trainer for district managers , & ALL as well as letting me know that everyone who works there feels like I was "out to get the manager"because I called HR concerned about lack of training received. I was forced to close the store on my 4th night- with one other associate- after the Assistant told me she would rearrange the schedule because I was no where near ready to assume the responsibility. She was not true to her word- she did what was convenient to her because she doesn't want to close the store-apparently doesn't have transportation at night. (That is usually a requirement to be a member of management in retail) If you computer test your associates on procedures, and functions, why then don't you TRAIN them formally on the computer how to do these daily requirements like every other retailer out there, including WalMart? If you want quality people, you have to treat them with respect,train them PROPERLY and hold your management accountable ,( instead of letting them do whatever they like , and working whatever schedules suit them , and acting like school bullies when someone tries to ask for help).I am seeking another job, and when I find it, I will not give more than 1 minutes notice before handing over the keys. , I will return the favor of being forced to stay in the store, unable to leave because there is no other management there, with no lunch because no one bothered to disclose this little bit of information.

Horrible

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time for less than a year

Pros: The customers and their energy Cons: Management,the Pay, and no off days No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

hard work for little retribution or acknowledgement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Goodlettsville, TN

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros: large focus on community involvement and giving back, covered parking, vacation days offered… Cons: expectation for employees to stay satisfied with their pay while going above and beyond job requirements, level of complacency; most people are unhappy in their… Advice to Senior Management: focus less on instilling fear in your employees and focus more on nurturing their talents and supporting team members. Get… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Dollar General.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!

Dollar General – Why Work for Us?

Dollar General is an exciting place these days. Not only is the shopping experience the best it has ever been, our rapid growth has created tremendous career opportunities throughout the company. DG employees find… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar General CEO Rick Dreiling. All reviews posted anonymously by Dollar General employees.