There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Store Manager Dollar General... BRUTAL !!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Toledo, OH
Former Employee - Store Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None, Seriously apply someplace else.

Cons

Average Store Manager work schedule is 70 hours a week, Salary no overtime.
No labor hours to complete projects or process freight. Employees are hired at minimum wage and only given 24 hours a week max. Work load is ridiculous, Expectations of management are ridiculous. Constant threats and harassment about theft / shrink. Seriously I left the company three weeks ago and I don't miss it one day.

Stop beating your store managers to death !!!!!!

reviews filtered by

Stressful, overworked, understaffed, No home life.

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Aiken, SC

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement via growth and turnover. A company if you are in dire need of a job or you want to get some managerial experience to take to a company that will appreciate you.

Cons

Its amazing that shortly after DG came out on the Worst Employer list you have a large amount of excellent reviews.(August & September) You will notice they came from the corporate office, upper management or anonymous employees. Its sad they are trying to rig the process. Cons are numerous. Managers required to work 6 days year round and on call even on days off for call outs or conference calls , far to few hours to run a proper store, my store ran roughly 25% to 30% of its open hours with a single associate in the store, low pay and high expectations on all staff members. They always push on customer service and shrink control. Any decent company knows the answer to those issues is proper staffing and a happy team. They expect the manager to have and take full responsibility of a store when they have no time to be anything but a high priced laborer.

Look at the stores through the eyes of the employees who actually make the money for you. Sitting behind a desk looking at numbers will never give you the insight you need.

Very Misleading Recruitment

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Expansion means you can work close to home

Cons

Very bad hours, I was introduced at 50 hours and was asked to go to multiple stores and was given 80 hours almost immediately. I left because of this.

Upper management lacks direction and training, I had a lot of unanswered questions and the common expression was "Well that is just how DG does it, I don't know why"

Pay for store managers is the lowest in the entire retail industry on a bell curve

New stores are not being built large enough to handle volume

Managers are not given the hours/labor to complete tasks assigned in a realistic way. Store manager has to pick up all the slack. No work life balance

Be respectful of work life balance, technology is outdated, let managers manager their store and have input. Cleanliness, safety, and space is a huge issue in all stores, including new store models. Clearance turnover plan is poor, clogs stores and is unsightly. Out of the 20 employees I worked with, none smiled. They were over worked and depressed, many told me they had to work multiple jobs even as FT.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General