There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Why Dollar General is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Janesville, WI
Current Employee - Store Manager in Janesville, WI

Pros

Excellent 401K plan: After 1 year employees are matched dollar for dollar up to 13%, AND employees are fully vested after 1 year. Health Insurace after 30 days: health care and dental is even offered to part time employees. A less expensive plan is offered after 6 months. Flexable scheduling. Dollar General currently has special grants for Disaster assistance and grants for college.

Cons

Open on most holidays, working 6 days per week

Advice to Management

Allow store manager to have off 2 days per week, so long as they work their commited hours. This would make balancing an employee's personal life a lot easier, thus reducing "burn out".

Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General

1. No training what so ever.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Noperdo (Burkina Faso)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Noperdo (Burkina Faso)

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't know a one. The customers I guess. I really can't think of anything.

Cons

Was never shown anything. Was promised that I would get training but no it didn't happen. Throwing freight on the floor and expecting someone to know their system is useless. Thanks for wasting my time. Good luck finding someone who has magical powers to know everything their first day. You've lost a good worker and customer. I'd have to say the pay is like 5 cents from minimum wage. Broke equipment too.

Advice to Management

Train the new employees about your system. Nobody's going to want to stay if they are not getting trained. If you do train new people, please find someone that wants to train them and will have time for them to learn. Impossible to know the system in your first two hours there when they have an I don't care if you learn here's a box of freight now put it up by using our system that I'll show you how not to use. Terrible pay!!! Around 5 cents higher than minimum wage. No pros to this job what so ever.

2. WORST Company Ever

Current Employee - Full Time Lead in Hell (Norway)
    Current Employee - Full Time Lead in Hell (Norway)

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ha ha ha. The only "pros" would be the cannon fodder that Dollar General offers me, so I can post it on my Dollar General Mayhem facebook page, tumblr, and twitter accounts.

Cons

There are too many to list in detail. They are the lowest bidder of wages, and they make you work terrible hours. As a full time lead, I am subjected to a 30 hour cap for the week, unless I travel to other stores to help out, and they all need help. If the bill Obama is pushing through for salary workers passes, Dollar General is going to be taken to court. Corporate constantly ignores maintenance issues such as air conditioning repair, broken doors, faulty wiring, etc., and makes us work with outdated software/hardware that constantly freezes, doesn't work, and hinders both worker and customer relations. Retaliation is rampant when complaints are kicked up to Human Resources. Turnover in management is ridiculously high, and there is zero stability in this company. If you are on salary kiss your life, love life, and family life goodbye because Dollar General is going to force you to work upwards of 80 hours a week because they are constantly cutting payroll. They already do not give enough hours to properly run the store, yet they continue cutting. At the same time, they wonder why their stores look like crap. Corporate is overzealous in their buy-ins and are overflowing the warehouses and now treating our stores like warehouses. I have spoken to upper management and relayed my concerns as well as told them that their company is by far the worst one I have ever worked for. Their competition, Family Dollar, is run way better. They are a terrible company, too, but Dollar General takes the cake. I will never recommend this company to anyone, nor do I advise potential customers to shop here. I see rat infestations everywhere. I see filthy stores due to lack of payroll. I see zero training and fostering of long term careers within the low levels of the company. You want someone to brown nose you? Don't look at me. Get a dog.

Advice to Management

You can't give advice to most management because the turnover is ridiculous. My advice to those up the corporate ladder is not friendly enough for the ears of children.