Bait and Hook

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There could be opportunities for growth if you're willing to put up with open ended promises.
Having fun with the employees really made my days and helping them in their personal growth and leadership development growth.

Cons

Lack of support from the district and regional team.
Lack of technology in POS systems.
SOP on Store Managers to review security cameras to monitor internal theft/shrink - To a point where external shrink was considered "out of sight/out of mind".
Benefits are okay but you pay more than the company for those benefits.

Advice to Management

Do not recruit individuals to your management staff stating they are in their current position until a DM or RM role opens up and leave it void and null. In writing, in emails and over phone interviews this was claimed and never followed up on. When asked, all parties claimed to not have stated these words; however, proof was in email with their corporate email address attached.
Store managers need more field support and rely heavily on their peers for support rather than their DM.
Inventory control is a nightmare, need to update technology to account for all "known theft" items, not just logs for certain items.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Dollar General

Former Employee - Store Manager in Immokalee, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Immokalee, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for managers.

Cons

Not enough payroll to properly maintain the store.

Advice to Management

If you put more payroll in stores that are always over sales plan it will increase sales.

Why would anyone want to be a Dollar General manager?

Current Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is easy to get hired. They are often desperate for help, so you just have to pass a background check, and you are in.
    You will like most of your customers, as it is a neighborhood store, and you will be close to home.
    Seasonal sets are easy. They have a paint by numbers type of system for that.
    Advancement to the SM level is easy. Advancement to the DM level requires entry into a training program, and then relocation.

Cons

They expect a 6 day work week from their managers. THAT wasn't mentioned in the interview. The payroll budget is so low, so I have to work by myself until noon or 2 pm through the week to have enough coverage for freight day and weekend business. I am working an average of 60 hours a week. Last week, I worked 74. The workload is impossible and unrealistic. I started this job with an optimistic outlook, but that has turned into exhaustion and depression. I am looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Fix the 11000 stores that you have before you open 650 new stores this year. How about opening just 200 new stores, and using the extra money for maintenance and technology improvements? You say that this company is about serving others, but I say that you are only focused on market share. How about serving your employees? Just 20 payroll hours a week would make a huge improvement in my ability to get your tasks done and keep your customers happy.