There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Work somewhere else

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate
Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some coworkers are friendly and helpful, others are not. DG stores generate a lot of business so the time goes by fast.

Cons

The stores stay disorganized because customers don't control their kids and adults just pick things up and set them down wherever they want (usually out of place), managers aren't available to help when needed, training is inadequate, back rooms are filthy and embarrassing, store offices are small and careless, work demands on employees are far more than what the pay is worth. Let's not mention the way customers treat the employees. Healthcare costs and other benefits will eat up the whole paycheck too because wages are so low. Full-time employees and key holders are often expected to work 12 hours or more per shift. You don't really get the required breaks either because you are always called to the front to handle customer needs, overrides, refunds, etc.

Brief example: When employees get busy and forget to remove one single sales sticker from the shelf, customers will find it and demand the discount. They don't care about the sale expiration date shown on the sticker. Your manager(s) will fail to inform the customers of this when asked and that will create even more stress for employees because the customers see that they will get away with that.

My advice: Find someplace else to work. Minimum wage isn't worth the work environment at Dollar General.

Treat your employees better and pay them what they're worth.

1022 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Serious shortage of quality leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Dollar General full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was not bad. Benefits are so-so. Educational opportunities outside of work. Climate controlled facility.

Cons

Senior leadership was horrible at the DC while I was there, unlike the senior leadership of the company, which I respect. I understand that they fired the worst ones. Good. I don't think they evaluate/develop their leadership candidates very well, or panic and hire anyone with a pulse. They promote a lot of hourly workers without evaluating their leadership skills, which just perpetuates their problems. Turnover was as bad as I've ever seen, and that could have been mitigated to an extent. Employees are denigrated behind closed doors, but the attitude gets picked up on by the employees, so the bad attitude goes both ways. Leadership has very little understanding of what they ask employees to do, so employees lose respect for them. Quite a few quality employees that other companies would have been happy with are swept out the door. Heard the term "slave plantation" among hourly employees. Not exactly how you want to be perceived in the community.

I can't imagine that the Safeway DC method is still considered viable after the Bessemer fiasco. Manual picking is not the wave of the future, it is the bane of the past. You didn't calculate safety, attendance, theft, and turnover into your equation, did you? And who but DG would pay $106 million for a DC? Was that good stewardship? I really think that you should invest in a quality leadership development program, not just some weeklong course in Goodlettsville. Improve employee retention, and then you won't have to beg for supervisors.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier  in  Somerset, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker/Cashier in Somerset, TX

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros

, Nothing good to say about store.

Cons

I was only there one month. I was doing the job I was expected to do.. I was always there on time. I was there when someone didn't show up. I was fired because according to the manager on sight I was not doing the work efficiently.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!