Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
  www.dollargeneral.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Menial, bitter, and sometimes illegal.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Big Clifty, KY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Big Clifty, KY

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with customers was the only happy thing about this job. They were lovely people, and they always helped in putting me in a better mood.

Cons

No lunches unless you worked there for 7 hours. No lunches were typically given past 6 hours, which is mandated by my state law. No consent was given. They seemingly didn't care that it was illegal. Other associates seemed naive about the law, which management took advantage of.

Three part time employees quit at the same time just before I got hired. The manager they were understandably upset with? He got promoted 2 months later.

I got 2 hours of training. They didn't teach me about barcodes, labels, or any other important matters. I learned all that from my previous retail job, not them. A few CBLs were given months later.

Five people left within five months after my hire date. There was a ridiculous turn around.

There was always a shortage of certain supplies, and it made the job more difficult to complete well.

The manager changed schedules daily and sometimes hourly, without consent or warning. If somebody didn't know about the schedule change, that employee would be blamed and considered a poor worker.

A favored employee asked me to switch shifts with her. I told her I couldn't due to college. My store manager said she'd take care of it, and gave this employee the shift anyway.

A disliked employee was continuously humiliated instead of talked to in private by the store manager. The manager left patronizing notes on the cash register for all to see, detailing to this employee what he did wrong and what he should be doing.

After working there for three months, I was given a plastic bag of the store's profits for the past couple of days. This came without warning. It contained an estimated 10,000 dollars to take to the bank. The store manager did this in front of customers at the cash register and without secret during a busy time. It made me feel unsafe.

Mostly everybody seemed very bitter about their jobs at Dollar General. I worked at a previous retail store where the coworkers cared about their job and about their coworkers, so I found this bitterness very strange.

I had to fight for availability changes, pleading over and over again. Considering I made it known during the interview process as well as on the application that I was a full time, commuting college student with limited and changing availability, this shouldn't have been such a fight. The manager acted like she didn't believe I had classes during certain times. After Dollar General started scheduling me intentionally during times I had class and hours I couldn't handle, I finally had to leave.

After giving my two weeks notice, it became clear that the store manager was unhappy with my leaving the store. There was a clear vendetta, and she intentionally did things to upset and insult me. I nearly quit on the spot three different times, which I told myself I wouldn't do because it would hurt my other coworkers.

Pay attention to important issues. Don't be bitter. Treat your employees well. Talk to people in private about important matters. Get needed supplies. Learn how to maintain a stable schedule. Obey labor laws.

1168 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Dedicated and Hardworking Co-Workers, Wonderful, Loyal Customers

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Danville, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Danville, VA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to serve our customers and our community by providing great customer service, especially to the elderly, and fairly priced goods at a reasonable cost is extremely rewarding! Co-Workers and our Managers are dedicated, incredibly hardworking, and truly inspiring individuals!

Cons

The amount of work for little above the Federal Minimum Wage is discouraging, especially if one has a family to support. While there is room for advancement, the pay will still keep a family of four below the poverty level. Benefits are wonderful if they are affordable; if not, they are of absolutely no value.

The out of touch, micro-managing from the Corporate Office needs to stop and our local Managers, who put in absolutely incredible amounts of hours, need to be empowered to actually make decisions and manage. They certainly deserve more respect and better financial compensation. Your employee turnover is extremely high for a very, very good reason! Retention of your loyal and dedicated employees needs to be addressed.

Expecting a skeleton staff of predominately female workforce (no man could provide for his family on Dollar General's wages and many, therefore, do not even apply) to accomplish everything is exhausting, unfair, and unrealistic. When educated, dedicated, mature women are hauling your 800 pound "rolltainers," which are poorly designed, by the way, for stocking AND expected to fill out all of the paperwork, handle banking, scrub toilets, wash windows, all while providing exceptional customer service for a little over $200 a week, things desperately need to be re-evaluated by Corporate, otherwise, these dedicate, loyal, and intelligent employees will certainly become the former employees who are the next generations' competition.

Take note: Our Customers prefer Dollar General over the competitors because they honestly believe that we have higher ethical standards; we need to work on making it so, because if we are no better than the competition, the bottom line will certainly be affected.

Dollar General has a wonderful and noble foundation to build upon, but it will take critical thinking, innovation, and a pro-active attitude to keep Dollar General moving forward in a positive way. With high hopes, the lessons learned from Woolworths', Montgomery Ward's, and Wal-Mart's failures should help make Dollar General an American institution for the next century.

very unfair to employees now you will know why everyone looks un happy

Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, FL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

there is nothing good accept they pay every week I went to another job starting out at what I left DG making and Im a step under manager

Cons

The tell u just say yes to returns then come in and treat you like a criminal because your 5 is to high?? really you see people steal items and return but you are told just do it but again its on you ! you work 65plus hours a week and told back when I started u must work 48 I was always in store ( if u always wondered why u waited ) until 12 or 1 alone U HAVE TO STOCK ONE OF THOSE HUGE ROLLITAINERS IN 30min/45min/1 hour depending what was on them payroll is bad when u are manager on duty you cant leave store u have to clock out for lunch but you couldn't leave store cause cahier may have a return or void you have to enter a black building cause no lights are left on ! you get in trouble for shirnk but trucks are unloaded and offen u don't get all your stuff your alone so cant always check truck there goal for store is every 6 miles makes other were its hard to bonus shrink ?? its a free for all when u are alone in store people still u blind and its your fault no matter u are checking in vendors running register, helping customers and watching shoplifters ??? the Dm never answers your calls or emails but that's acceptable I told RD and that didn't fix it so I guess him not doing his job is OK! ,,,NO life out side of work if u are a store manager... no wonder in a meeting they told us we was rated one of the top worst companys to work for !! GOOD LUCK!

Fire Dm"s that are not there for there team and have sexual harressment charges againt them he will say things like threating me with a good time and how much beer would it take RD even knows and its OK great support there DG!

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General