There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Worst job ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar General part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this job at all. The ONLY thing good, the only thing, is that the pay is weekly and you start off with 8.50.

Cons

Oh boy where to start. I applied as a sales associate and was trained by videos in the managers office and then I was off for hands on training (if you could call it that.) Now, before I continue let me state that I have a motorskill disability that makes my hand eye coordination very poor, as such i have to be very slow with my hands and I even talked to HR about my problem and they helped me out. I worked register the first day, which wasn't bad. The customers were great to talk to but oh boy the assistant manager.

She was just a ball of sunshine. She would constantly verbally harass me about my disability saying such things as "I bet your mother had problems with you and I bet she still does now" it was so bad that OTHER employees would get involved and make fun of me with her. If I was working register, anything that I could see I had to fix (yes that included stocking the back as well) If I was in the bathroom, they would make customers WAIT for me while I was doing my business, and if the customer asked them to just ring them up, they would respond with "I'm not on register." and they only had ONE register open.

I got written up because I had to attend two funerals the same week and they wouldn't even call if they changed my schedule. I was expected to call and see if my schedule was changed, but why call if you check the schedule early ahead of time and know your days? The manager did not take the blame for any scheduling problems, it was the employees fault. At this point, I was fed up and filed a complaint that was supposed to be confidential. The DA calls me a few days later and demands I go back to work to try and talk to them about the harassment to work it out. I told him there was nothing to discuss, either he tells them to stop harassing me or get fired, or I will walk. He responded with a "You're costing me money" So I decided to take my skills elsewhere. I'm glad I left.

Find people who actually are nice and don't look down on others simply because they are new and suffer from a disability.

reviews filtered by

Do not work here

Former Employee - Cashier in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customers was the only thing good about this so called job
    If u enjoy working an ever changing schedule maybe u could work here

Cons

Working with manager with horrible attitude for almost no pay
    Company treats employees like they are making a fortune
    No respect for employees who are working hard for almost no pay

Pay your employees better, treat them with respect...maybe then you could keep better employees

Unsafe work environment. Worked 60+ hrs a week.

Former Employee - Store Manager in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in McDonough, GA

I worked at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ownership of store. Freedom to hire. Concrete goals.

Cons

Robberies, work/ life balance, Too little payroll, turnover

Add more cameras in your stores. Allow panic buttons, and always have more than one person in the store at ALL times. For a 10 billion dollar company, you should allow more payroll. Too much weight on the store manager. The store manager has to do everything!

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General