Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com

Worst job ever

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are no pros to this job at all. The ONLY thing good, the only thing, is that the pay is weekly and you start off with 8.50.

ConsOh boy where to start. I applied as a sales associate and was trained by videos in the managers office and then I was off for hands on training (if you could call it that.) Now, before I continue let me state that I have a motorskill disability that makes my hand eye coordination very poor, as such i have to be very slow with my hands and I even talked to HR about my problem and they helped me out. I worked register the first day, which wasn't bad. The customers were great to talk to but oh boy the assistant manager.

She was just a ball of sunshine. She would constantly verbally harass me about my disability saying such things as "I bet your mother had problems with you and I bet she still does now" it was so bad that OTHER employees would get involved and make fun of me with her. If I was working register, anything that I could see I had to fix (yes that included stocking the back as well) If I was in the bathroom, they would make customers WAIT for me while I was doing my business, and if the customer asked them to just ring them up, they would respond with "I'm not on register." and they only had ONE register open.

I got written up because I had to attend two funerals the same week and they wouldn't even call if they changed my schedule. I was expected to call and see if my schedule was changed, but why call if you check the schedule early ahead of time and know your days? The manager did not take the blame for any scheduling problems, it was the employees fault. At this point, I was fed up and filed a complaint that was supposed to be confidential. The DA calls me a few days later and demands I go back to work to try and talk to them about the harassment to work it out. I told him there was nothing to discuss, either he tells them to stop harassing me or get fired, or I will walk. He responded with a "You're costing me money" So I decided to take my skills elsewhere. I'm glad I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind people who actually are nice and don't look down on others simply because they are new and suffer from a disability.

Unsafe work environment. Worked 60+ hrs a week.

Store Manager (Former Employee) McDonough, GA

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros: Ownership of store. Freedom to hire. Concrete goals. Cons: Robberies, work/ life balance, Too little payroll, turnover Advice to Senior Management: Add more cameras in your stores. Allow panic buttons, and always have more than one person in the store at ALL times. For… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Worst Company, HR Does Fake Reviews Here

Field Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar General full-time for less than a year

Pros: It's a job if you're in a pinch. Cons: Don't expect to stay longer than a year or make any good contacts - field management is primarily cast-offs from other companies that no one… Advice to Senior Management: Scrap nearly your entire field management and HR team. Anyone who is repeatedly and consistently accused of fabricating evidence or lying to encourage or… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Dollar General.

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!