Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
  www.dollargeneral.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

I Loved the job I had until I moved to Yuma Az. Me and the store manager didn't get along that well.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company will work with your needs and the employees do work well together.

Cons

And some of the Manager are not team players , some of the work is not shared equally among each others.

The DM's should listen to the employees instead of going back to the store manager and telling them what was said about them but all the DM's are not like this.

1120 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Heavy Work Load, A lot of responsibility

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time

Pros

Fast pace, time goes by very quickly. It's fun interacting with customers. Pretty good benefits package for a discount retailer.

Cons

Heavy work load, relatively low pay for the amount of responsibility. Poor training. Individual experience will vary based on store manager and district manager style. Not much support from upper management.

Training needs serious improvement, they train people inadequately then write them up when mistakes are made. Very unfair. My requests for better training have been denied by store manager. Managers should be more open to suggestions from employees. Better support would equal better productivity.

Out of work for 3 years, took on at 4 hrs/wk and 8.75/hr. Quickly became 35+ hrs week

Current Employee - Like You Think I'll BE Truthfull in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Like You Think I'll BE Truthfull in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than an year)

Pros

time does go fast, work is not unreasonable

Cons

management is cruel (DM and above). inhuman expectations laid on workers. trust is non-existent. corporate worries more about a pack of cigarettes getting stolen than anythingl else.

I would have anyone with the word "vice-" or "president" in front of their name be made to spend 2 days every 6 months at a store more than 100 miles from the closest DC. They would be made to see how their decisions affect MORALE. Why do we change POGS to move everything over 3 inches, then move it back 60 days later? Why are discontinued items sent to store just to have them go in a discount bin after an employee has to scan each one and then label it ? SO MUCH WASTED TIME!!! Let us run our stores and shut up- you have no idea what you ask of folks. No one wants to work in a store where they are considered thieves automatically and treated as such, asked to work 364 days a year with no extra pay for holidays, minimum wage the rest of the time and then beaten like Hebrew slaves the rest of the time. DMs are paid to squeeze stores, they are squeezed by RMs, and so on...... Put the leaders in the field not like the TV show. See if a ;50-60 year old could pass the background check and actually get hired, much less become a keyholder---------- Physician, heal thyself........

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General