There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Dollar General is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Newnan, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The insurance is not bad considering. It covers prescriptions very well. The paperwork can be easy to take care of if you are organized.

Cons

Store managers work 6 days a week per the company only leaving them one day off. They can take a half day, but if you go in it is hard to leave that early. The store manager has to do everything with little to no help. This doesn't allow the store manager to actually manager the business the way they should be able to. If Dollar General would realize this then their business would do better. There is no payroll and employees have to work by themselves in the store quite often. It is too stressful and does not pay well for as many hours that has to be put in and all the hard work that they do.

reviews filtered by
  1. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tulia, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tulia, TX

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

its a job, not my career job!

Cons

dont give hours you need for employees to get jobs done, so sm has to make up for those hours

2. It's a demanding job, but definitely not worth the headache.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Washington, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Washington, MD

I worked at Dollar General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health insurance and benefits that the company doesn't publicize or make easily available to employees.

Cons

Poorly managed, disorganized, vulnerable and improper cash handling practices, old and poorly functioning technological equipment, a lot of petty minded staff creating a severely unprofessional atmosphere and employee conflict, high theft rates with company refusing to participate in community watch supported by county police, had to call the police to the establishment multiple times a week, ignored employee issues ( My paperwork was never processed correctly, in addition to every employee hired at the same time as me, and we were not paid for the first month, some even longer until I persistently forced corporate to address all of the issues), ignored customer complaints.

Employees should witness their own drawers being counted down and management should make necessary adjustments when an employee states that a customer experience has affected their drawer based upon proper review of the security camera footage.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General