Dollar General

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Seasoned employee

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company trys a lot of new ideas, they are somewhat focused on advancing in technology.

Cons

Where to start? If you work in a DG store you are labeled as a thief during your initial training. DG estimates that their shrink is 80% internal. One minute you are doing a new program the next minute you are doing it wrong. Your life as a store manager will be dictated by your DM. Some are awful some are OK. If you ever get short staffed forget about help from up above, its sink or swim for you. The stores are so hot in the summer that the candy melts, (with the a/c on) while the cooperate office has heated doorknobs. The is no work life balance and good luck getting a holiday off (but that's retail) the warehouse dumps product on you that you don't need (we all know the buyers screwed up) but there is no exit plan for the product. If you are out of too many products in your store you get counseled for it, yet the DC out of stock report can show well over 100 outs at times. Anyone that visits you in a suit could care less about you and all they want is a horse and pony show when they show up. Managers can't even take a lunch without getting paged to take care of an issue. And let's not forget about being along in your store for 7+ hours. You have to use the restroom? Too bad. Oh and make it 6 days in a row with no restroom breaks while your at it. This place will suck the soul right out of you. DONT DO IT! (That's the short list)

Focus on your stores (the people that make you money) and stop worrying about how I stock a case of vegetables. I have been doing this for 20 years and you have a 4 year college grad who couldn't even lace my shoes in the morning telling me I'm doing it wrong. You have a lot of issues. Its a matter of talking to those that mean most. The people running the stores and not the brown nosers.

1241 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Great for starting out, I suppose

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job was easy, not that much work, especially if starting out as a cashier.

Cons

There's too few people manning the store unless it's stocking day or a change of shifts.

Allow there to be at least one extra person in each store during shifts, especially if it's a busy location. Also, look into making the raise from cashier to manager a bit higher and worth it.

Its neither the best nor the worst

Former Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Dollar General Sales Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours, reasonable degree of independence as a employee, close to home, straight forwards job as a sales associate, so-so pay

Cons

Horrible customers, poor leadership, so-so pay, physically very demanding, no breaks on nights, hours can change at the drop of a hat, lack of organization, co-workers are either incompetent or just plain stupid, jury is still out on that one

Hire people who know what they are doing, get some decent organization, and make it so leadership will actually stay in the stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General