Dollar General

www.dollargeneral.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Save money by ripping off employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lavalette, WV
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lavalette, WV

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

...learned what a model corporation does not look like.

Cons

where to begin. I am cussed out constantly by my manager for refusing to work 16 hrs. I don't receive my schedule for the next day till the night before. The place runs on a constant skeleton staff. Unreasonable amounts of totes to stock while also on duty for register. Forced to work through breaks. I'm supposed to be part time yet I work 40 hrs a week because they refuse to hire more than 5 people To top it off, I have actually not been paid when I came to work because the ast. manager did not ask the gen. manager. Horrible place to work.

Train employees(i did not get the cbls till a month after employment), add more employees to store at one time. And pay your workers when they are there. The number one thing that can destroy a business is an angry workforce, an believe me DG, you got one.

1290 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Just say no.

Current Employee - Store Manager Candidate
    Current Employee - Store Manager Candidate

I have been working at Dollar General full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable salaries,opportunities for advancement, good values

Cons

It took our a month for the district manager to finalize my paperwork and verify my I-9 for me to start working. I should have known something was wrong from there, but no. I began work in a "broken" store with NO MANAGER. I was "under" an extremely overwhelmed assistant manager who had no managerial skills whatsoever. The more I tried to help her, the more she tried to run me off from the store. After she was finally promoted things just got worse. I was not trained on proper closing procedures, but was required to close the store five nights a week with a brand new employee. Then, she claimed that I was doing deposits wrong as they had come up short. After the district manager completed her investigation, she concluded I wasn't to blame. After I was written up by the store manager, who refused to show me any supporting evidence to the cash shortage,so therefor I refused to sign it. She politely told me any action towards me from now on cannot be considered retaliation. So after this encounter, I requested a transfer. My request was denied because the district manager had nowhere to place me, even though she had openings for SMC's at two other locations within her district. Less than 24 hours later, the store manager terminated me for a cash shortage she had informed me would be there, since she had to remove some for the change fund.

Place experienced managers in "broken" stores. Allow more communication between store employees and upper management, as they can tell you the truth as to whats going on in your store locations.

My Experience

Current Employee - Cashier- Key Person in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier- Key Person in Marion, OH

I have been working at Dollar General part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Some of the coworkers are great.

Cons

My manager isn't a good manager she doesn't know how to talk to her employees, and can't make up her mind is constantly contradicting herself, so never know what to do. Her training style makes it hard to learn she shows while going 50 mph once & expects you to remember what she showed you. All of us that work for her are willing to stay with Dollar General under her assistant Robert but not her, so we are hoping she gets a new store or if Robert gets the new store we want to go where he goes.

Either get HER retrained on how to talk to & treat her employees or get rid of her. We have many customers that complain about her rudeness & lack of volume control.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General