There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Review

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate
Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Some of the customers are Fun, and most of my Coworkers are awesome.

Cons

Low pay.. crap hours. Dumb customers. Dumb Corporate Leadership. Too much work expected for no pay.

Get your act together DG! Give your employees a CAREER a LIFE and it WIll work for you!

1038 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar General (View Most Recent)

Better than most not as good as a few

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

DG is a growing retailer - one of a very few. DG has shown itself to be in an evolution phase and will presumably continue to re-invent itself. The company has a solid set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). These spell success with a capital S if they are followed. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Cons

The growth pain is evident internally, but since the nature of retail is almost always in flux, the customer service side of the equation is not being supported as it should be. When budget reductions are required, the last place that these reductions should be looked for is in staffing. A lean staffing machine is not a good way to convince customers that the company CARES. Too many DMs and RDs do not want to face the reality that passing bad news up the chain is the only way for a company to continue grow. Keeping bad news away from the "biggies" is not a solid career move. It does come back to bite.

Get out of the cubicle tower and spend some time managing in the field and find out what is actually going on. Sign up to run a store for a full week as a Store Manager without being able to call in the troops, and experience the reality.
    We you visit the field, expect to see stores in something other than perfect condition - expect to see them shopped. When you see a store in a condition below what you thought you would see, don't bad mouth anyone on the sales floor - that is very unprofessional, don't belittle anyone's efforts until you find out what they have attempted to do to deal with the issues, and don't ever assume that you can do it better unless you are willing to roll up your sleeves and walk in their shoes to prove that you can. No one cares what you might have done in the past - show them what you are willing to do to help them become as good as you think you are. Otherwise, you're just one more high level management person that is in the process of proving what a jerk you really are.

your store level

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

It is all what you make it , your choice to be Manager of your store is all yours just do it and stop complaining, jobs are not out there so just do the one you have and it works alot easier if you enjoy the work your in. I personal have loads of fun at work everyday, at my store.

Cons

need more time allowed for everyday task , more hours to stores to be able to complete all tasks ask of us to better serve of customers running on two and three employees in not great customer service

For all of you who DO NOT work in a store just remember that for food on your table would not be there without the good store we have out there we are the ones feeding all employee at DG

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar General

Worked for Dollar General? Contribute to the Community!