Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

Can be a fun place to work
Managers generally seem to care about employees
If you are a good employee it is easy to get promotions

Cons

Cashier has way too much responsibilities. I had to work the cash register by myself, stock, clean, deal with customers, and anything else the manager wanted me to do and they always had something to add to my list.
Senior managers make some stupid decisions sometimes.
Pay is not great but I guess not horrible.

Advice to Management

Every senior manager should work in a store for at least a week and do every job there is so they will know what is really going on in their stores so they can make better decisions on how to run the stores. For instance, it makes most customers mad when they are offered things to buy at the cash register, like candy bars and it also makes them mad when they are asked to donate money at the cash register and the poor cashier is the one who gets yelled at for asking, it is not fair to the cashier.

reviews filtered by
  1. not for me anymore

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

401K is good, health isn't a bad price with the wellness program.That is about all there is anymore and I hate everyday of it.

Cons

Management keeps changing ! All levels always want something diffferent and we are supposed to know what that is. They have no respect for store managers anymore. I agree that I am tired of them threatening our jobs all the time. Never have I had anyone be so rude ! DM's need to realize who covers thier butts! Maybe they should work our week and see if they can keep up. Pushing buttons on a laptop or texting, e-mailing, talking on a blackberry- oh sp hard. Our bonus is now based off of what someone else says? Come on get real - they found another way to keep money from us bottom line. Company needs to change soon or turnover rate will stay on the rise,

Advice to Management

grassroots with true store managers! Not the ones who have the biggest stores but the ones who have the big stores with plenty of hours. Talk to all levels small -medium-large. Really listen to us this time.

2. working at dollar general

I have been working at Dollar General

Pros

you get to know your customers and hire a good staff.

Cons

your dm never has anything good to say and never helps you besides gives you a list a mile long then leaves. not all dms are like this but most are .

Advice to Management

you get 1 and a half days off but you never get that half a day off you always stuck there doing something so you know that you work pretty much work 6 days a week