There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Thrifty Automotive

go for it, if you need a job, but look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Dollar Thrifty Automotive

Pros

Promotions from inside are common, if you get in a good department, you may have a good boss. The Bonus plans can be good. Opportunities to work throughout the united states. Benefit plan pays for your first $1000 of medical expenses.

Cons

It is a dying company that has seen multiple rounds of lay offs. The corporate culture is not that great. A large number of the staff are incompetent. There is a lack of unity and cooperation between the various departments. The 401k match was cut while I was there.

Advice to Management

Get the field v. headquarters quarrelling under control

reviews filtered by

Revenue vs. Cost - Misdirected

Current Employee - Vice President in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Vice President in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive

Pros

The people really do care and are willing to go the extra mile and to sacrifice for the greater good of the company.

Cons

There are alot of what appears to be knee-jerk reactions to issues and changing business conditions. This is evident to the employee group as a whole and causes concern and lack of faith in senior management.

Advice to Management

You need to get off the cost issues. This is ingrained in the culture. What is needed is that same amount of focus on revenue generation. That is where we fail miserably.

2. As good as Dollar can be, it could be much better !!!

Current Employee - Rental Car Agent. in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Rental Car Agent. in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dollar Thrifty Automotive

Pros

Medical Benefits (average), decent pay, and after 10 years working for them,4 weeks paid vacation.
    And rental agents,in particular, who are good at selling upgrades, insurance, etc., get very good monthly incentives.

Cons

In the Summertime, often understaffed. Constantly on the run, and often we miss breaks, due to how busy we are and not enough staff. When we try to call in sick the managers very often give us a hard time, and try to pressure us to come in to work.....if we are sick we are told "take some medicine". Then we are often told how busy they will be, and how short (staff wise) . We are made to feel guilty for something not our fault. !!!
    time if you call in sick. Managers give you pressure

Advice to Management

To try and get more feedback from staff. To not make it a punishable offense for calling in sick , when you are sick. This is almost the 8th month of the year, I called in sick once, and we give points that go against us for calling in sick....anytime....and two points for calling in the day before , or after your weekend. Doesn't matter if you are sick...it goes against you on your employee record.