Dollar Tree

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brentwood, TN
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy, fairly straight forward work. Paid vacation, flexible with schedule, sick time.

Cons

Could pay better, company only focuses on what you're doing wrong, never highlights the positives.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst of the worst in Retail, stay away

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interaction and friendship developed with your associates. Otherwise, nothing.

Cons

I worked with Dollar Tree for about a year and 3 months. Within a week, I learned that this was not a good place to begin my career. I took the job because of the recession.

Don't compare my review as an Assistant Store Manager to the reviews from cashiers. Read the reviews of other assistant managers and you will see that most are negative.

I'll be brief, I was an assistant manager with many responsibilities and they paid me $1.75 more to the hour than a cashier.

- I got no recognition from my store manager for tasks I completed and worked extra hard on.
    - You won't be thanked or complimented on your work; only negativity and constructive criticism
    - There are never enough employees to meet expectations of store's appearance. That's how the executives save money by hiring as few as possible to barely get by.
    - I was flexible with my hours, reliable and came in on my off days, he didn't care. He continued to give me as few hours as possible.
    - I quickly realized that my position was going nowhere and I did the same redundant stuff everyday
    - You're not evaluated and given a raise, HR prorates you and it can't be more than 25 cents/year
    - NOTHING will change in your store. Policies may vary but nobody follows them. Everyone including the store manager do minimum just to get by and get out the door.
    - Store manager does not care about keeping up with and giving cashiers their breaks and meals because SM is salaried.

*** I could go on and on, but I "highly" recommend you stay away from here unless you will accept minimum wage and are absolutely desperate. Read the other reviews. They're similar to mine.

Advice to Management

Your entire company needs reform and better evaluation on stores and their leaders. Stop putting all profit into executives and so little money to the stores' basic necessities.

Worst Job in retail!

Current Employee - Stocker in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to do if management runs their store realistically. It's not hard to stock a store or help customers...but (read the cons)

Cons

Dollar Tree asks it's stock guys/gals to stock their shelf's with only 5 hours to do it. Management forgets the time it takes to rotate food items in the store as well as interruptions from customers asking where candy is in the candy isle. They count how many boxes/cases you put out, making it more stressful to get things done. They train their store managers to treat their staff like crap and have no respect for the people busting their asses for them.

So if your looking to work for this garbage piece of crap of an company I warn you, your only gonna make $7.25 an hour with maybe 15-20 hours a week! Add in the ludicrous expectations management places on the stock crew and if your smart, you will have your answer.

Stay away...I am out of here as soon as I find a more respectable company to work for.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect! Make your stock crew overnight with at least 30 hours a week (giving them 8 hours to stock the store without rushing them to do so), pay your stock crew at least $8 to $9 an hour to unload your messy trucks and load your dirty stores. And can we please get a better break room for God's sake?