Summer Job

Former Employee - Store Associate in Allen, TX
Former Employee - Store Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are two Dollar Trees in my city, and I was working at the nicer one. We kept our location much nicer than the other one, and I could tell this because people were often surprised when they walked in. They also complimented us. I've heard a lot of bad reviews about Dollar Tree employees having to work through breaks without pay, but I never experienced that while I was there.

Cons

The downside of my experience there was a schedule that changed weekly. It would have been nice to have a consistent schedule. Another downside is they only pay minimum wage, but from my experience it's an alright starter job.

Advice to Management

Either schedule more employees or expect employees to do less on their shifts; it can get very busy and messy in the store. Sometimes it's impossible for the number of employees that are there to get everything done that needs to be done.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad Deal

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its a paying job no other pros

Cons

Poor pay ,poor hours,no incentives.Unreasonable expectations,Company don't care about their people ,treat all employees has thevies,provide no benefits of any kind to cashiers. And over the last few years have cut benefits to management cut all payed holidays.And now keep most stores open every holiday but Christmas. They insist on extending hours in inner city stores where the danger to employees is higher all while cutting payroll hours.

Advice to Management

Make those in corp.come into stores and do what they expect us to do with the tools we have.

Pay...horrible. Hours...unreliable. Mobility...almost non-exsistent

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They generally work with your school schedule, so for someone looking to just work part time (that's all of their non-management employees, although they may schedule you 36+ hrs) it works for a short time being.

Cons

The shifts are short. They do NOT provide annual reviews (which are what lead you to raises) even though annual reviews are corporate policy. You're usually under staffed because sales are too low to have more than one manager and one sales associate when closing. Store politics/cliques are way too prevalent and if you're not in with the right crowd, your work life will to put it frankly...suck. The only full time people are management and honestly, they don't get paid enough for what they do even if some of them lack common knowledge to even be in the position they're in.

Advice to Management

Too much to write to sufficiently change this horrible place of business.