Dollar Tree

www.dollartree.com
  www.dollartree.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Ok for the short term to get something better

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are female. They tend to promote women more than men from what I saw over five years.
My experience there landed me a better paying job doing less work.
If you are in with your DM and not dumber than a rock you WILL get promoted.

Cons

They base all of the employees minus the manager hours by weekly sales. This means you can be cut at any time if sales are down for any reason. They do not want cashiers working more than 15 hours, but it happens all the time, Trucks are unloaded by piece, nothing comes on a pallet and it takes 1-3 hours to do each truck. You never really know when it will show up meaning the freight crew is on call all day for up to two days. Cashiers are also the stockers because there is never enough hours to run a freight crew unless you are in a very large store. They keep track of how many boxes you put up in a public forum. If you suck, everyone will know.

Do not making Managers work 60 hours from November till after Christmas and then give them nothing for it. We use to get comp days but they got rid of those.

639 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

Not bad, but needs more perks for the amount of effort we put in.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Glens Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Glens Falls, NY

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cut and dry...monthly planner tells you what needs to be done, just do it and roll along. Decent assistant manager program to help manage my store.

Cons

Terrible bonus program...sometimes unreachable. I also wish I had some control of employee pay, so I don't have to ask for so much effort, and pay so little. Upper management (regional) prefers to come off threatening vs. helpful, making for a lot of stress when we know they're coming to visit a store.

Make manager bonus attainable...not fair if you max on margin bonus but don't get it because you miss the sales bonus, so you get nothing at all. Also, allow a window of pay that we can hire within based on the skills associates bring to the table so everyone isn't operating at the same pay, when we all know they don't operate at the same skill level.

Dollar Tree Management

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to make own schedule.

Cons

work-family life balance poor. 3 weekends a month, 2 nights a week, 47.5 hours minimum a week, must work every first of the month weekend, no holidays off, 6 days a week during Christmas if you need to be there or not(no comp days in repayment of extra time), stressful work environment, and outrageous work expectations without proper payroll to accomplish goals.

Accountability should start with the District Managers, making sure they are available to store managers and are knowledgeable about Dollar Tree processes and back office work. District trainers need to be competent and doing their job, so seasoned managers are not burdened by asking an overabundance of questions from new managers not properly trained thrown into stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree