Dollar Tree

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Pass time

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet some really fun and cool ppl working here

Cons

almost everything the pay sucks the hours are worse and the company don't give a crap about you or you opinion in less you are in management and some time not even then.

revise the way you receive your merchandise it will save the company tons of money so maybe you can afford to get you employees more hours to compensate for the crappy pay.

639 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

Be ready to run around 100mph all day long

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Competitive salary and benefits package.
    - Employee Stock Purchase Program...stock has made me a lot of money.
    - Nice monthly performance bonus program.
    - Extremely fast-paced, not for everyone, always something to do.
    - Stable and seemingly recession-proof company.
    - Management experience.
    - Helps keep me very active and in shape, no gym membership necessary.

Cons

- No payroll. It's almost always you and a cashier except in higher volume stores.
    - Must micro-manage using Appleseed program. Problem is unless you're a high volume store you're not micro-managing anyone but yourself. You're discouraged from doing anything except managing and pencil pushing. However you cannot expect your one cashier to cashier, stock your shelves, keep your store clean, and assist customers themselves, right? That means you have to do it all, plus your managerial duties.
    - Heavy emphasis on freight processing. Must receive and process your truck within 48 hours, but there's no stock crew. Management is your stock crew, essentially your opening manager only because you're not supposed to stock in the evening. But remember you're discouraged from stocking yourself, but have no choice.
    - Very difficult to train, coach, and develop your staff properly. It's all basically on the job training, learn as you go, if you make a mistake you're held accountable whether you've received adequate training or not. Not really fair, but it's how it's done.
    - I'm embarrassed by the poor customer service we are forced to provide. Everything is just so fast-paced and short-staffed you cannot adequately fulfill the needs of the customers. Making a customer wait for assistance is unacceptable. Not because we don't want to but because we just physically cannot be three places at once.
    - We are scheduled 50 hours per week, but only paid for 45, which means we are supposed to take an hour lunch. Try taking one. Try even going to the restroom for 2 minutes. Not happening. More often than not you end up working 60+ hours a week with no breaks.
    - Turnover from sales associates right on up through regional management has been incredible. In my 7 years I have yet to have the same boss for more than a consecutive year.
    - Fixed 2% annual raises for part-time employees, full-time assistants vary 1-3%, but 3% means you are the absolute perfect in every way, and store managers don't really get raises unless you've exceeded expectations in every metric and core competency. These are very rare. Simply meeting expectations isn't enough for an increase.
    - Be very prepared to run around the store like a maniac all day long. Must have almost superhuman levels of energy, be able to prioritize on the fly, and execute as quickly and efficiently as possible. Be a machine running on all cylinders at all times. No breaking down, no wasting time. Definitely not for everyone, probably not for most.

Just observe and listen to your employees and understand your customers. Even work a few shifts side by side with the store managers. Impossible expectations, productivity programs that are volume-dependent and consequently counterproductive in non-high volume stores. An alarmingly large amount of your store managers are frustrated to their breaking point.

Bad Deal

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its a paying job no other pros

Cons

Poor pay ,poor hours,no incentives.Unreasonable expectations,Company don't care about their people ,treat all employees has thevies,provide no benefits of any kind to cashiers.
    And over the last few years have cut benefits to management cut all payed holidays.And now keep most stores open every holiday but Christmas.
    They insist on extending hours in inner city stores where the danger to employees is higher all while cutting payroll hours.

Make those in corp.come into stores and do what they expect us to do with the tools we have.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree