There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Accomplish wall miracles everyday

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fullerton, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very much in charge of your own store

Cons

Huge expectations in small amount of time

Keep up the great support

606 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

Job started out great then went down hill

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The interaction with customers and my co-workers was awesome. I met a lot of great people. As long as you are at a store where the manager follows policy the training is awesome.

Cons

As an assistant manager you were never given enough help to do the work that needed to be done. You were always running register as a back up cashier but then still expected to work 6-8 hours worth of freight to the floor, do recovery etc. The store I was in was in need of massive repair but the landlord did minimal work. The roof leaked and the air conditioner barely worked. During the summer the chocolate was melting in the store. The work conditions were unbearable. Not a week went by that someone at the store did not call in "sick" to work or just did not show up.

Everyday there needs to be double coverage between the hours of 10am and 6pm in almost every store. Not just during the fourth quarter "silly season" Your employees need to be paid more. You will find you will get better qualified employees who are more willing to work with less call offs and no shows if they are making more money.

Better then bigger retail stores

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been at Dollar Tree for about 3 months now and so far my experience hasn't been too bad. As I was reading the reviews a lot of peoples experience at the DT has been negative because of their manager but fortunately I work with a very understanding and overall good manager. For the most part she seems to care about her employees and their needs. I work at a bigger DT and we have about 15 cashiers working there all together (not at the same time of course). At one time there will be about 2 cashiers and 2 managers working. Nothing at the DT is as serious as it may seem at first. When I first started working there I felt confused because of all the different names for the duties I was going to perform and even though I applied for cashier I ended up doing a bunch of different things around the store, which I enjoy very much. You may be doing go back carts or U-Boats, these are two things I really like doing because you have minimal contact with the rude and annoying customers (one of the worse parts about the job). However, at the DT they are weary about putting people on the floor because associates use the opportunity to text on their phones and walk around the store like a zombie barely working. I rushed through go backs and u-boats and my managers were very impressed. Since I started working there I have fewer days on the register and more days opening boxes, stocking, recovering the store and so do the job really well and hopefully they will notice if you don't like working the register either.

Cons

The worse part about the job is the company in general. Although I feel like my manager cares about her employees I certainly don't feel like the COMPANY cares about the employees. They constantly change policy making things even more inconvenient for the associates. At the DT you cannot have another cashier do a transaction for you while you work without a manager present and you have to do the transaction for each item you have because you have to have a receipt for each one! It's kind of ridiculous. If you get off at 3, you cant shop around the store once you're off, you have to do it an hour before you get off work during your 10 minute break...pretty self explanatory I don't even need to go in on how stupid and inconvenient this is for the people who work there.

Another con may possibly be the coworkers. The dollar tree is a small company so you will work with the same people over and over again and very closely. At the dollar tree its important to be able to communicate with your coworkers because you have to figure things out among yourself, like establishing who is main cashier and back up, who will go on their break and when and who will cover during that time. You cannot just stay to yourself and avoid them so its important to get along with them. There are some coworkers I find difficult to work with and who make things harder for me by not doing their end of the job but theres really nothing I can do except keep a professional relationship with them. I have seen people cry and quit because of coworker conflicts.

The biggest con is the pay and hours. It may be different for a smaller store but if you work at a dollar tree like mine then you work 4 hours 3-4 days a week and make hardly any money. The pay is ridiculous and even though I like my job some days I just not worth it to me and I want to quit badly. They keep your hours few so even if you end up working 5-7 days in a row, they were only 4 hour shifts...I got paid more at Wal-Mart and just stood at the register all day.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree