Dollar Tree

www.dollartree.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

This was an overall good experience.

Current Employee - Cashier and Stock in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Cashier and Stock in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

Cons

The store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Interact more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

723 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

high paced

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in University Place, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in University Place, WA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very happy environment, fast paced. Great bosses

Cons

so much to do so little time. Not the best paying job..

keep busting you butts

Perhaps The Best Place I've Ever Worked For (Though I'm only 30 years young)

Current Employee - Quality Control Auditor in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Quality Control Auditor in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1.)100% company-paid health insurance premiums;
    2.)A set schedule;
    3.)Raffles on 15 minutes breaks during mandatory overtime;
    4.)An overall VERY helpful management team (at least in my DC);
    5.)You'll always have 40 hours, even during brief periods of slowdown--they will NOT force you to take voluntary time off if you wish to get paid a full 40 hour work week;
    6.)Lots of cross-training from department-to-department;
    7.)88 hours of paid time off (PTO) if worked for 2 years or under;
    8.)You don't have to kiss ass to get a promotion;
    9.)Employees become like a second family, as do some supervisors;
    10.)Regardless of department, (except in allocations or human resources) you will get paid exercise, whether it be by throwing boxes, loading trucks, or walking around.

Cons

1.)Mandatory overtime--it seems as though we were promised a four-day work week at 10 hours a day, but we rarely see that; there are maybe two-and-a-half months where we ever actually adhere to the four-day work week. This is an excessive burden for associates and managers alike who have families, friends, or community obligations as once mandatory overtime is scheduled, you CANNOT get out of it without getting an attendance occurence; and sometimes we are worked 14 days straight without a day off, so many associates are more prone to accidents and injuries from being overworked;
    2.)Rarely, if ever, closed or delayed for inclement weather. (Where I'm at it consists of several inches of snow and/or ice.) Depending on the general manager's mood, can decide to excuse or not excuse those who do not come in due to the road conditions;
    3.)PTO is automatically taken before unpaid time off if you are requesting time off during the week that is not your normally scheduled day off; also, there is NO sick time or personal time. If you call out, you will get PTO deducted and be charged an occurence;
    4.)The attendance policy is the strictest I've ever encountered; only allowed three occurences in a rolling six months before you are written up; the only way to wipe away the most recent occurence is by working two months with no tardies, leave earlies, or absences;
    5.)SAFETY: THIS IS A BIG ONE FOR ME. It probably depends on which DC you work at, but where I'm at, I have brought numerous safety hazards to appropriate management and the safety director, but nothing is ever done to correct the situation. (I.E, broken pallets that are about to fall from the overhead racking, pallets stacked too high in the return areas, emergency exits blocked by pallets, etc.)
    6.)You have to be careful with who you say and what you say when it comes to management--sometimes you may think they're on your side, but are really just playing the role of wolf in sheep's clothing;
    7.)Human resources tend to side with management on most issues and if you contest their decisions, they'll find anyway to nitpick your job to get rid of you.
    8.)You need to wear about four layers in the winter time, and next to nothing in the summer time because of inadequate heating and zero air conditioning.

1.)Safety needs to be number one in this industry. Although it is claimed to rule over anything else, that is not the case in my DC. Serious hazards abound and nothing is done to remove them because as management, they don't want to fall behind on their work. This has to stop--17 accidents in a one month period is far too high.

2.)Consider (slightly) amending your attendance policy; the majority of employees are single or divorced parents with young children, and young children often get sick at school and need to be picked up. However, in leaving the job early, employees are penalized with occurences and deduction of PTO.

3.)When there is six inches or more of snow expected, or that has already fallen, CALL OFF work for the day or at least allow a few hours for the DOT to clear the roads. It is dangerous to have employees risk their lives just to get to work and keep up with the high demands of the industry.

4.)If you're going to force overtime, give employees more notice than just Wednesday; and don't make the employees work 14 days without a day off. This is just begging for accidents and injuries.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree