Dollar Tree

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex schedule under the right manager.
Good staff, benefits for full time employees, ability to transfer state to state.
Great merchandise.
Great starting opportunity.

Cons

Pay is not good for the amount of work involved.
not enough staff to help customers and customer become rightfully angry.
some store in dangerous location without security or amble lighting at night.
night bank deposit are dangerous at certain locations.

Consider having no less that 3 - 4 plus management regular staff members on schedule at all times. This will ensure cleanliness of store, stocking and most important proper assistant available to customers on the sales floor. I worked in retail for over 20 years in all aspects, and this is the first high traffic company with the least amount of proper staffing. Its unrealistic for certain districts. It might work for certain areas but you must consider the location when staffing. Good company can be one of the greater ones with a better retail structure.
Offer your staff a better salary and you can get some real quality people on board. Consider Costco and Trade Joe type companies when staffing, they have happy team members and its always a pleasant experience for the customer.

646 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

It was alright working there

Former Employee - Cashier and Stock in Oakdale, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier and Stock in Oakdale, MN

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All of the people I worked with were awesome, the manager was the best manager because she would tell me to do this an this and just let me do it she didn't bother me with anything unless it was important or something serious

Cons

over time they started cutting my hours to down around 5-10 hours a week and that wasn't cutting it just getting less then 100 dollars a week, the only other con would be the district manager for the twin cities area in Minnesota she has no regard to how people are as in when its hot out and moving boxes around for inventory in the heat in a gaint warehouse and wont let anyone take a break that not how you run a company, also she put me on the no hire list because she didn't like how I did my job, it worked better then what she had done all she does is complain, she needs to go.

the only advice I have is don't treat you employees like they are mindless tools, be compassionate when they need time off because of unfortunate events in their life there are always another person that can use those extra hours.

This was an overall good experience.

Current Employee - Cashier and Stock in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier and Stock in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

Cons

The store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Interact more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree