Dollar Tree

www.dollartree.com
  www.dollartree.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Great, but still room to improve.

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is fair. The co-workers are great and help you if you are new.

Cons

Some customers can be rude.

646 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

Decent place to get a start, difficult to build long career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time

Pros

Work with a lot of really experienced people in a very unique business model. Learn to be adaptable and flexible to meet the business needs at a low cost.

Cons

Defined career paths are almost non existent at any level. There is no clearly communicated opportunities for advancement in any one area. As such the company has a degree of title deflation.

Work to ensure that high potential employees have avenues for career advancement within the company.

Good starter job and an ideal career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an easy job. Everything is routine. You'll be a pro by the end of the month. Very friendly environment.

Cons

Corporate can be strict with payroll. They want you to accomplish so much in a short amount of time. If payroll isn't set correctly, the rest of your week is going to be tough. Unless you're a Store Manager there's nothing you can do besides make the best out of your scheduled time. Also the only way to promote is if someone of a higher position gets fired or quits. So you can be the best employee and work here for a great amount of years but don't hold your breath for a promotion or pay raise unless someone's walking out. Also the company doesn't provide you with any gear as far as working gloves, back braces, or dust masks. So unless you don't want physical problems later down the road, keep in mind that will be out of your own pocket. I've been employed with them and I thought I didn't need that gear but down the road you realize how much you need it while unloading the truck, processing freight, taking out the trash, cleaning the backroom, etc. There's a lot of dust.

Appreciate your associates and don't take advantage of them. Also just because you're of higher authority doesn't make it okay to talk down to them. Treat them with respect. I was a Manager at Dollar Tree. I know it can get stressful but never talk down to them. You might be a Store Manager but it takes a TEAM to run the store, not a single person ordering people around. Also managers do your job. So many times have I seen Store Managers leave work to attend personal business or run errands for hours or come hours late without notice. Even though you're not on the clock, you're on salary. Work your scheduled hours like everyone else. Set a good example for your employees and be professional. It's a business and as a Store Manager you should take your career more seriously. I don't mean any disrespect and if I come off as unprofessional I apologize but I wish I would have let someone know the truth. Dollar Tree was a good opportunity but they have to really learn to pick their employees and not just try to fill an empty position. You're giving too many people that don't care about their job the higher position and leaving the one's that do show interest down at the bottom. I only made it up because my Manager quit and they gave me his position. Despite my enthusiasm, hard work and dedication I probably would have still been a cashier with no chance of promotion if my Manager would have stood at Dollar Tree.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree