There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

Great, but still room to improve.

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is fair. The co-workers are great and help you if you are new.

Cons

Some customers can be rude.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Manager Great Distruct Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours always in the 30+ range. Promote from within, Good Healthcare. Its considered secondary healthcare so you qualify for ACA benefits. I pay $17 a month for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Smart move by upper management to classift thier healthcare as secondary, it makes the job worthwhle.

Cons

Last minute shedule changes, flat organization, not enough hours to stock. All the employees want to see the store do well and if we just had one more person to stock our revenue would jump.

Advice to Management

Keep employees feeling important. My manager and District Manager make us feel important. Treated with a great deal of respect. Great co-workers to work with daily. Promote peope like my manager and district manager that have the know how to run retail and let emloyees know they are valued.

2. Good starter job and an ideal career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's an easy job. Everything is routine. You'll be a pro by the end of the month. Very friendly environment.

Cons

Corporate can be strict with payroll. They want you to accomplish so much in a short amount of time. If payroll isn't set correctly, the rest of your week is going to be tough. Unless you're a Store Manager there's nothing you can do besides make the best out of your scheduled time. Also the only way to promote is if someone of a higher position gets fired or quits. So you can be the best employee and work here for a great amount of years but don't hold your breath for a promotion or pay raise unless someone's walking out. Also the company doesn't provide you with any gear as far as working gloves, back braces, or dust masks. So unless you don't want physical problems later down the road, keep in mind that will be out of your own pocket. I've been employed with them and I thought I didn't need that gear but down the road you realize how much you need it while unloading the truck, processing freight, taking out the trash, cleaning the backroom, etc. There's a lot of dust.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your associates and don't take advantage of them. Also just because you're of higher authority doesn't make it okay to talk down to them. Treat them with respect. I was a Manager at Dollar Tree. I know it can get stressful but never talk down to them. You might be a Store Manager but it takes a TEAM to run the store, not a single person ordering people around. Also managers do your job. So many times have I seen Store Managers leave work to attend personal business or run errands for hours or come hours late without notice. Even though you're not on the clock, you're on salary. Work your scheduled hours like everyone else. Set a good example for your employees and be professional. It's a business and as a Store Manager you should take your career more seriously. I don't mean any disrespect and if I come off as unprofessional I apologize but I wish I would have let someone know the truth. Dollar Tree was a good opportunity but they have to really learn to pick their employees and not just try to fill an empty position. You're giving too many people that don't care about their job the higher position and leaving the one's that do show interest down at the bottom. I only made it up because my Manager quit and they gave me his position. Despite my enthusiasm, hard work and dedication I probably would have still been a cashier with no chance of promotion if my Manager would have stood at Dollar Tree.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree