Dollar Tree

www.dollartree.com
  www.dollartree.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree

A forward thinking company that values its talent.

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Upward mobility, Exposure, Autonomy, Company values, Challenging work

Cons

Slow to change
Overly tactical workforce

638 Other Employee Reviews for Dollar Tree (View Most Recent)

Worked

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Camden, TN
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Camden, TN

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the customers.

Cons

No employee benefits or employee discounts.

Management needs to put in their fair share to keep the store looking stocked and neat. By doing so, it will allow the customers find what they are looking for when they come into the store and do not be afraid to ask a customer if they need help.

The Company needs help.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate and Freight Member
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate and Freight Member

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There literally hasn't been anything I've enjoyed.

Cons

When I applied to work for Dollar Tree, I had expected to only be what I applied for, however I found out that during a shift, only a single cashier and a manager are working in the entire store alone.I intended to only stay while finishing college but with this economy, it's been extremely difficult trying to find another job. The company is cheap, you will never be full time and higher management will be stuck working 50-80 hours a week. This particular store is extremely busy every day of the week and our store is smaller than the larger Dollar trees and right in the city, but it is one of the best stocked, we sell out of things within a few days. There is no sales floor at all, so you are required to do three jobs. During my typical day I am cashiering around 200+ people during my 4-5 hour shifts as well as being the to go person for the customers since there is nobody else in the building to talk to half the time. I am constantly running around the store trying to get as much done on my 'Appleseed' which is basically my to do list, which is nearly impossible to complete all your tasks within a few hours.My responsibilities include cleaning half the store, condense, assemble products, do damages, take balloon orders, answer calls, reshop, garbage, cashier and get products onto the floor and sometimes help with displays. Unfortunately, for returns/exchanges, voiding items and a few other things can only be done by the manager which is not allowed to be done by the cashier. Sometimes I'm trying to talk to three or more people at once such as being on the phone, talking to my current customer then having to answer someone's question from across the store or maybe even help someone who is physically disabled. The store is next door to a large apartment complex for elderly and physically and mentally disabled people so they do their primary shopping at our store so many have special needs or care that we must be aware of. These people are our primary customers and it can become a very stressful environment very quickly. You also get a lot of drunks and thieves. Sometimes I also do trucks in order to get more hours and usually you're stuck at work longer than anticipated because drivers are rarely ever on time and only two and if you're lucky, three people will be working a 1,200 piece truck. It gets very hot and cramped, and very difficult if you're short like me and can't lift some heavier things over your head without hurting yourself. After you finish unloading the truck, you are then timed by the hour on how fast you get products out onto the floor, which is also extremely difficult on truck days and that's when our store is extra busy.

What I learned? I learned I should've never worked here, that's for sure. The turn over rate is extremely high, we only have around 9 people who work at our store and there's always a new face every week or two and I can't keep track. I've almost been there a year and I've so far been there the longest out of any cashier. I work hard but it burns you out quickly. I've really learned to just suck it up and have the patience of a saint to deal with the constant yelling and problems that come up. This job has made me bitter because you really see the worst in people, people are rude and treat you horribly and think you don't know what you're doing because you have a million things to be thinking about and doing and unfortunately our particular store, with the chaotic environment, customers will never get the customer service they want and it's unfortunate. Our store is a 'red flag' store which means there is high amount of theft, every day, and when you work by yourself, you can't do anything about it. When I first started working, I used to cry all the time because of mean customers, customers would take advantage of me because I was the 'nice girl' and being there for as long as I have, I think I've definitely toughened up and have become more numb to the things I and my coworkers deal with. These people are the reason why so many ex-employees have quit after a week.

The only good thing about the store is some of the co-workers. I work with very interesting people who are usually going through a rough patch in their life and trying to get on their feet. They're pretty upbeat most of the time, but after a few weeks, everyone loses the will to want to come to work. A lot of my hours came from no call no shows, people just quit, or have break downs at work because of some quarrel between them and a customer. As much as I need more hours, I absolutely hate being treated like I'm on call half the time and then I get yelled at for not answering my phone, because when I do, I just feel guilty and feel like my availability is taken advantage of sometimes when I do and then I get told I need to come into work at that very moment and I have to drop everything I'm doing to take someone else's shift. I feel really bad for some of the people who quit, who felt pushed to do so because this place was making them miserable and they needed to get out. I get along with my coworkers and all of them have expressed that they would love to work somewhere else if they could and two out of the three managers are currently trying to find something else as well before quitting. For a while however, there were issues with people on the freight team stealing and one coworker in the past always came to work stoned. Dollar Tree needs people to take drug tests, because yeah sure, pot isn't gong to harm you, but it's keeping coworkers from getting things done quickly.

The hardest part of my job is trying to not to have a break down and start crying or freak out at certain kinds of customers. You're constantly having to be on your toes and not slack off, so as soon as you clear your line of customers, you can't waste a single second to get your other responsibilities accomplished because the store will fall apart if you aren't working hard in this busy environment.

Management...oh yes, management isn't much better. I feel sorry for my current managers, it's horrible and stressful and they have to ask you to share some responsibilities. They never get to take their breaks and lunches because they need to be called up every two minutes. Our store hasn't had air conditioning or heat in four years. My boss has called to get these things fixed and right now, our store is around 90 degrees and it's only going to get worse in this heat. After five minutes, you're sweating, customers are sweating and complaining to me to tell corporate to do something about this. We have a lot of elderly people and I think it is also a hazard to them to be in such a hot stuffy environment. And I brought up stealing earlier, we need a security guard, it would fix so many problems. People are casually just walking in and out of the store with baskets of things, stealing stuff right off the shelves. Apparently people have to bring their bags with them and can't leave them by the register so they stuff them down the isles. People come in and beg for money and people loiter in front of the store. This makes many women uneasy and as well as myself when we have drunk people and unstable people hanging around in our parking lots and groups of people just hanging outside to smoke. Multiple times, the women would wait in our store for a ride from a friend because they don't feel safe to leave. I've been cornered at work by a customer who had been drinking and has stolen as well has said inappropriate things to me multiple times and nobody ever did anything to keep him and other people out who are potentially dangerous. I am honestly scared of some of our customers who have been verbally aggressive to me, each other and physically endangering themselves and people around them and conflicts in the parking lot among angry customers. I don't feel save in the store I work in, there's too much stuff and very little room in the store so it makes mobility very difficult for myself and customers. Customers can block you in behind your register and you can't even get to the fire extinguisher in case of an emergency. The back rooms and break rooms don't exist, all they are is storage for junk. It's unsanitary and I don't think our bathrooms should be public to customers. People will go to our back rooms to steal, and take pregnancy tests and their drug tests in our bathrooms and leave it disgusting. People have come in bleeding on our floors, past cashiers have been handed money with blood on it. At the end of the week, we run out of change to give customers and have to get money from the store next door or my manager has to use her own money to make sure we have enough change to last the rest of the week. I have been given bottle returns that have been used as urine bottles, it's disgusting. The company doesn't care about us, despite how many times our store has tried to get help, and I honestly feel like our store should be shut down because nobody should have to go shopping or work in this kind of environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Dollar Tree