Dominican University of California

www.dominican.edu
  www.dominican.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Dominican University of California

Collegial environment, bringing organization in line with the modern world

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Colleagues in academic world are genuinely committed to students and strengthening of the University. Relatively strong new president with a challenging board of trustees. Some great staff members who tirelessly support the mission.

Cons

HR function worse than bad and totally bloated while the rest of the organization is tightening its belt. I don't know of anyone who feels they can trust HR or its "leaders", rely on HR to do its job or rely on expertise of HR. Hiring is a nightmare. Many strong candidates lost because of lack of professionalism and support in HR. Weak technology department. Dorms in disrepair which causes students to move off campus. Weak admissions department.

Focus on students.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Dominican University of California (View Most Recent)

Small minded and political

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.

A small university with big potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Dominican University of California for more than a year

Pros

It's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

There could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

There are newer employer reviews for Dominican University of California

Worked for Dominican University of California? Contribute to the Community!