Dominion Dealer Solutions

www.drivedominion.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Dealer Solutions

Nice place to work; money isn't great though

Current Employee - Project Manager in Monroe, OH
Current Employee - Project Manager in Monroe, OH

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is very laid back, and you're rarely micromanaged. There is opportunity to grow your career here, but it feels like a stepping stone to something greater. They're fair about your family life, and provide lots of flexibility to those who do not abuse it.

Cons

Wages are minimal for most jobs. Benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to free up more money for salaried employees.

reviews filtered by

Mergers, mergers, and more mergers

Current Employee - UI Designer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job is flexible. Don't have to worry about working overtime. Most managers will listen if you have issues and try their hardest to make life easier for you. I've worked with some really great people over the years. Company offers really great education tools like Lynda.com and Safari Books Online. Telecommuting available (even without a location shut down). You do get good experience and the benefits are fairly good.

Cons

Upper management seems to not know what the right hand is doing from the left most of the time. They will attempt to be transparent and will do monthly web meetings, but then falter and you won't hear from them for months at a time. When people leave the company, there appears to be no action to replace those people - at least in my experience - and when they are great people, it really hurts. We were told they would not close down offices, but so many people left that it became silly to have 5 people showing up to an office built for 5 times that number. They should have just closed down the offices and sent us all to work from home sooner rather than drag out the morale-sucking fiasco the office situation was. Company only ever offers raises at review times, or if you threaten to leave. As a once-upon-a-time manager for DDS, this made keeping my department happy and focused incredibly difficult - especially considering that they were all underpaid to start with and there was nothing I could do about it (I would get shot down by higher-ups if I wanted to offer someone even a market rate). A lot of times you will be put on a specific career path, but then the outcome is wildly different than what you were advertised - then you get stuck in a department, doing a job you dislike and the only option is to leave because there's no where else to go.

Advice to Management

More transparency about the status of the company and its assets. Understand the technology that is being acquired and its impact on the end user as well as the impact on employees. Don't falter when putting into place things that employees care about: career paths, education, work place logistics.

Micro Management

I have been working at Dominion Dealer Solutions full-time

Pros

A couple departments are great to work within due to the strong performance goals and high autonomy.
    New Products are being introduced.

Cons

Culture of the company is to micro manage and question every small step or choice. Example: You are given a food per diem for travel but they don't want to approve a breakfast coffee from dunkin donuts if you stay at a hotel that provides a free breakfast. Daily decisions which most companies would expect have to be approved two and three levels up the management ladder.

Management is slow to react to a changing software environment.

Products are not well testing before being released.

Advice to Management

Have the same expectations across teams and departments. If you don't trust the folks you hire, increase the pay rate to be more competitive and you'll be able to hire a competent workforce. If you feel you already have a great workforce, give them the autonomy to complete their job and have some faith they can make the right decisions for the company. Playing devils advocate is important but when it's the same decision every time, asking the same questions of employees is time consuming and demeaning, especially when nothing about the situation has changed.

I believe the company has some fantastic talent. Just think what they could accomplish if you are supportive instead of always trying to roadblock progress.

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Dealer Solutions