Dominion Enterprises

www.dominionenterprises.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises

Hurry up and go nowhere.

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about my job is that I have good co-workers. They make an otherwise soul-crushing day much better. There is also some scheduling flexibility, which makes it easier to balance work with kids and appointments that might happen. A casual work environment is also nice.

Cons

They pay extremely low to begin with, and you can expect no more than a 2% raise annually. When you get paid so little that it takes a year to earn $1 more per hour, there is something wrong. They have no money for raises, but they can fly people on a private plane to come to a four hour picnic and then home again that same day.

The account reps are already overloaded with accounts and the required minimum workload increases every day. They require us to do more and more with our jobs, but refuse to pay us more for the increased work load.

There is serious favoritism between management and subordinates in some departments. A person should not be allowed to be their best friend's supervisor, it creates a lot of animosity in the workplace amongst the rest of the department. Also, a supervisor who says they listen to employee suggestions, but then doesn't act on them is very frustrating. Worse, a supervisor who cannot accept criticism and deals with it by saying the offending employee has a bad attitude for disagreeing with them publicly shows very little maturity. People have begun quitting, and there seems to be no real plan in place to improve morale. Add this all on top of waiting for a new internal system that nobody ever seems to have any solid deadlines or answers about is frustrating. Meanwhile we lose account after account because our customers want a website that actually works with current technology. The way people are quitting, it makes one wonder how long it will be until that office closes and all of it is moved to Virginia. There is no real chance for any growth in this office. All of the moves are lateral, but the jobs are not a progression, you can be in customer service, or you can be in tech support, or take a pay cut and work in another department. It's like a maze with lots of dead ends and no cheese.

Advice to Management

Promote better employees to be supervisors and if there is nobody in-house to promote, hire from the outside. Start paying your employees what they are actually worth, because there is no loyalty to a company that doesn't take care of its workers.

reviews filtered by

OK for Entry Level - Terrible after 10 years or more

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good entry level positions, but mainly in sales or I.T., and mainly in Virginia. OK entry level benefits. Fairly flexible schedules except a lot of weeks or months where you can't take vacation or time off.

Cons

Cons are too numerous to write about. Very little chance for advancement unless you are a white male with the "look" and sales experience. Upper management makes it very clear that they have no regard for admin or finance personnel, and have said outright that these employees are "a dime a dozen." There are no added benefits after 10 years of loyal service, and no chances for advancement, plus they cap raises and bonuses. There is no real position hierarchy within departments beyond supervisor or manager, so you can't even expect to go to a senior level of a position when you've maxed out on your current position. Huge variances in pay between men and women. There is absolutely no incentive to stay with this company beyond 5 or 10 years. Management doesn't get out of their ivory tower in Norfolk to really see what happens in other offices. Just because the home office has events and incentives doesn't mean other offices do! They do annual employee surveys but after seeing the results of three of these it is obvious they only give lip service to the problems and don't really take any actions to improve things. No consistency between divisions on things like employee bonuses, work from home benefits, etc. For many people their wages have actually gone down because the price of healthcare benefits has risen so much. Work/Life balance is terrible - with managers expecting employees to work excessive amounts of unpaid overtime and be happy about it. I've actually heard managers say that the employee should just be happy that they have a job!

Advice to Management

A 40% approval rating should be a huge wake-up call. Anything above that on the employee surveys should be an indication that the only people really responding to those surveys are new people who haven't given up hope for improvements. Make this the kind of company that people want to work at and want to STAY at. What's the point of staying beyond 10 years when you get no added benefits and your pay gets capped? Don't say people need to work to be promoted, because in a lot of cases there are no jobs to be promoted to!

Strive to be your best, but get no reward

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had an excellent department manager during the 2+ years I worked at Dominion. 99.9% of my co-workers were a great resource. Good office culture. Flexible schedule, potential to work from home.

Cons

Too many to list. If you have a degree and are a PROFESSIONAL, you will be paid hourly and have to submit timesheets. They have been recently hiring temp workers to do busy work to replace the more higher paid individuals (which isn't that much). High turnover rate because of poor upper management and low pay.

I ended up leaving Dominion after only getting 2% raises each year, even after my responsibilities and skills had increased. They recently dished out 15% raises to keep the people they have remaining. I left the company for a career elsewhere that pays twice as much as Dominion and no cost benefits. The benefits at Dominion cost my family almost $300 a month but the deductibles are so high that it hardly covered any of our medical expenses.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for what they are worth. Give them something to work towards position and pay wise

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises