Dominion Enterprises

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises

Excellent Opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive
Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being recognized for your efforts, great upper management support and encouragement. An extremely positive work environment. I actually enjoy my job and have a great work/home life balance. It's a perfect fit as a parent.

Cons

Nothing major. I do wish our health benefits were a little less expensive. While I do think our compensation is average, I would like to see a bigger slice of the pie.

Keep doing what you do. I absolutely love being a part of the success of my team.

343 Other Employee Reviews for Dominion Enterprises (View Most Recent)

Egos rampant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some coworkers and team members

Cons

Full of egotistical upper management who make decisions to advance their own careers and promote their own agendas. Senior management is full of people who have made poor decisions and spent millions and millions of company money on failed businesses and projects, yet continue to be paid massive salaries and keep their jobs.

Its not worth giving advice to people who won't listen

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... just do as he says

Former Employee - DX1 in Sussex, WI
    Former Employee - DX1 in Sussex, WI

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time

Pros

The employees in Dominion's Sussex, WI office make a job at Dominion bearable.

New technologies on the development side.

My comments are the opinions of only one person. Take them for what they are worth. But I urge prospective employees to read through all of the other Dominion reviews and notice the consistent themes that run through many of them.

Cons

If you enjoy trying to figure out what a single executive manager's vision is for the product or being told exactly what to build then Dominion might be a good fit. However, if you are interested in thinking independently/analytically/strategically in order to develop a product you will struggle with the authoritative leadership culture of Dominion.

When you combine a single person's vision with Dominion's countless managers and stakeholders (who don't seem to communicate very well) you get a culture of combativeness and confusion. The feeling that no one really knows what is going on is ubiquitous across the company.

At Dominion there is a lot of talk about "hiring the best" and I think they do a pretty good job of hiring talented individuals. Smart, talented professionals need to be respected and allowed to do the job they were hired for. Longtime employees that historically were empowered to make strategic decisions about the direction of their company are finding themselves being micromanaged to death in the current organization. Unfortunately, Dominion is seeing high employee turnover this year because they treat their employees as disposable instead of the company's greatest asset.

The product team responsible for defining requirements and researching business/user needs has no real say over the direction of the product. All decisions are run by a single "visionary" executive manager with full veto power. So instead of researching business, user and customer needs this team is in charge of trying to figure out a single person's vision.

I have no doubt that Dominion will release software but I just have no confidence that the software will be the "best in class" solution they are constantly touting. "Best in class" software of this size requires more than just one person's vision and it requires more than just people who know how to write the code. Dominion has some AMAZING developers, but expecting them to be able to do the requirements, analysis, design, code, testing, etc is a recipe for failure. And I didn't want to be part of a project that is destined for mediocrity.

Let the people you hire do what they were hired to do.

Pay people what they are worth. You are not some trendy start-up in which the privilege of working on your project supersedes the need to pay people fair market value. Lose the dogmatic obsession with raises and merit increases being tied to a tiny % of an employees salary. There are plenty of great technology companies out there that have interesting projects and know the value of their employees. How many employees need to leave before the light bulb goes on?

Lastly, hold your executive management accountable for decisions that they make. I can't imagine anyone not at the executive level being able to make a multi-million dollar mistake (against the advice of many others) and still having a job.

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises