Dominion Enterprises

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises

Sad to see it end

Former Employee - Web Developer in Sussex, WI
Former Employee - Web Developer in Sussex, WI

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the Sussex, WI office were the best I have ever worked with and it was an emotional day for me when I gave my notice because I loved them, especially my supervisor and manager. I know those two would've done anything for me and I would've done anything for them, except stay.

Compared to my new and previous jobs, I thought the benefits were excellent. Dollar for dollar matching on 401k, tuition reinbursement, low health insurance costs for a single person, unlimited sick time within reason, and perks such as paid paternity leave.

Cons

The pay was awful. I started at far less than my previous job and 2% yearly raises did nothing to improve my pay. As I told my supervisor one year after another 2% raise, I would be making more at Walmart if I had never quit that job upon graduating from college.

I remember when I started that we had a problem with not enough parking spaces for the 100+ people at our small office. As the years went by that problem dissipated when tons of employees, many with years of experience and many in high ranking positions, left with what seemed to be no effort to retain their services. No joke, at one point we literally had no salesmen left. Hard to run a business if you can't sell your product. In 2013 alone more than 20 people have left and only a couple have been replaced by temporary employees.

The parent company of the Sussex office is located in Norfolk, VA and henceforth will be referred to as "upper management". The final straw for me was when upper management decided it was necessary to hold a meeting to reinsure that they're not closing the Sussex office. That the thought was even floating out there scared me to death and made me realize it was time to move on. From what I've heard since I left, upper management has now only committed to keeping the office open for 12 to 18 months.

The proprietary platform the company uses to build websites uses technology that's at least six years out of date. Rather than purchasing a new website platform, which would've saved time and possibly a lot of money, upper management decided they were going to build a platform which integrated many of the properties they own. Just like what happens when you get too many cooks in the kitchen, focus was lost, the project became a mess, and is nowhere near ready to release to clients. As a web developer, it sadden me to see that no thought was put into what would be needed for us to actually build websites.

Realize other companies do what you do but better and provide their employees with a greater overall experience. It was a valient effort and you reigned supreme for a while as the only game I town, but times have changed. Join the other dinosaurs in extinction.

343 Other Employee Reviews for Dominion Enterprises (View Most Recent)

Awesome...could have gotten paid a bit more but attribute that to the region not the company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a techie living in HR who doesn't want to work for a DoD contractor this is the best bet. With over 600 IT personnel, the company is coming to terms with the fact that it is now a tech company as opposed to a print company trying to put magazines on the internet. As such they are moderately open to any ideas an suggestions you may have in terms of technologies and such. Plenty of shops an restaurants around plus MacArthur Mall mall and Waterside.

Cons

This company will move forward by tech innovation only. The problem is they hire young talent who work there for a short time then get snatched up by larger tech titans out of town. This leaves the old guard perpetually in charge who cant see the tech forest for the trees and reminisce of the days when it was just print.

Do what you can to retain the young tech talent and ideas even if it means you have to pay a little more.

Strive to be your best, but get no reward

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sussex, WI
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Sussex, WI

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an excellent department manager during the 2+ years I worked at Dominion. 99.9% of my co-workers were a great resource. Good office culture. Flexible schedule, potential to work from home.

Cons

Too many to list. If you have a degree and are a PROFESSIONAL, you will be paid hourly and have to submit timesheets. They have been recently hiring temp workers to do busy work to replace the more higher paid individuals (which isn't that much). High turnover rate because of poor upper management and low pay.

I ended up leaving Dominion after only getting 2% raises each year, even after my responsibilities and skills had increased. They recently dished out 15% raises to keep the people they have remaining. I left the company for a career elsewhere that pays twice as much as Dominion and no cost benefits. The benefits at Dominion cost my family almost $300 a month but the deductibles are so high that it hardly covered any of our medical expenses.

Pay your employees for what they are worth. Give them something to work towards position and pay wise

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Enterprises