Sad to see it end

Former Employee - Web Developer in Sussex, WI
Former Employee - Web Developer in Sussex, WI

I worked at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the Sussex, WI office were the best I have ever worked with and it was an emotional day for me when I gave my notice because I loved them, especially my supervisor and manager. I know those two would've done anything for me and I would've done anything for them, except stay. Compared to my new and previous jobs, I thought the benefits were excellent. Dollar for dollar matching on 401k, tuition reinbursement, low health insurance costs for a single person, unlimited sick time within reason, and perks such as paid paternity leave.

Cons

The pay was awful. I started at far less than my previous job and 2% yearly raises did nothing to improve my pay. As I told my supervisor one year after another 2% raise, I would be making more at Walmart if I had never quit that job upon graduating from college. I remember when I started that we had a problem with not enough parking spaces for the 100+ people at our small office. As the years went by that problem dissipated when tons of employees, many with years of experience and many in high ranking positions, left with what seemed to be no effort to retain their services. No joke, at one point we literally had no salesmen left. Hard to run a business if you can't sell your product. In 2013 alone more than 20 people have left and only a couple have been replaced by temporary employees. The parent company of the Sussex office is located in Norfolk, VA and henceforth will be referred to as "upper management". The final straw for me was when upper management decided it was necessary to hold a meeting to reinsure that they're not closing the Sussex office. That the thought was even floating out there scared me to death and made me realize it was time to move on. From what I've heard since I left, upper management has now only committed to keeping the office open for 12 to 18 months. The proprietary platform the company uses to build websites uses technology that's at least six years out of date. Rather than purchasing a new website platform, which would've saved time and possibly a lot of money, upper management decided they were going to build a platform which integrated many of the properties they own. Just like what happens when you get too many cooks in the kitchen, focus was lost, the project became a mess, and is nowhere near ready to release to clients. As a web developer, it sadden me to see that no thought was put into what would be needed for us to actually build websites.

Advice to Management

Realize other companies do what you do but better and provide their employees with a greater overall experience. It was a valient effort and you reigned supreme for a while as the only game I town, but times have changed. Join the other dinosaurs in extinction.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

OK for Entry Level - Terrible after 10 years or more

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good entry level positions, but mainly in sales or I.T., and mainly in Virginia. OK entry level benefits. Fairly flexible schedules except a lot of weeks or months where you can't take vacation or time off.

Cons

Cons are too numerous to write about. Very little chance for advancement unless you are a white male with the "look" and sales experience. Upper management makes it very clear that they have no regard for admin or finance personnel, and have said outright that these employees are "a dime a dozen." There are no added benefits after 10 years of loyal service, and no chances for advancement, plus they cap raises and bonuses. There is no real position hierarchy within departments beyond supervisor or manager, so you can't even expect to go to a senior level of a position when you've maxed out on your current position. Huge variances in pay between men and women. There is absolutely no incentive to stay with this company beyond 5 or 10 years. Management doesn't get out of their ivory tower in Norfolk to really see what happens in other offices. Just because the home office has events and incentives doesn't mean other offices do! They do annual employee surveys but after seeing the results of three of these it is obvious they only give lip service to the problems and don't really take any actions to improve things. No consistency between divisions on things like employee bonuses, work from home benefits, etc. For many people their wages have actually gone down because the price of healthcare benefits has risen so much. Work/Life balance is terrible - with managers expecting employees to work excessive amounts of unpaid overtime and be happy about it. I've actually heard managers say that the employee should just be happy that they have a job!

Advice to Management

A 40% approval rating should be a huge wake-up call. Anything above that on the employee surveys should be an indication that the only people really responding to those surveys are new people who haven't given up hope for improvements. Make this the kind of company that people want to work at and want to STAY at. What's the point of staying beyond 10 years when you get no added benefits and your pay gets capped? Don't say people need to work to be promoted, because in a lot of cases there are no jobs to be promoted to!

2. Opportunity and Fun

I have been working at Dominion Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For me, the opportunities have been shown within DE, I showed very quickly that I wanted to work hard and that I had what it took and I was promoted. Overall when you put forth, the doors open up. I've shared this same philosophy to my team members and I've had people who have worked for me for well over 5 years. The company has adapted greatly to the technology changes and the culture has as well. We now have fun events that everyone participates in and our overall well being has become even more important.

Cons

With many businesses under a larger umbrella it would be great if there was more collaboration. Many times we have two businesses working on very similar projects and issues and there isn't communication or collaboration within the businesses to work together.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication up from above down. Encourage more of the businesses to work together across lines.