Dominion Resources

www.dom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Resources

Very disappointed with my new job at Dominion Virginia Power

I have been working at Dominion Resources

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, flex time with every other Friday off

Cons

Supervisor has given me very little feedback even after I spoke to him about it and will throw you under the bus to save himself in a heartbeat. Basically, he's what I call a "lazy leader"..and I use the term leader loosely. Even though I'm a good performer I can apparently still be blocked from getting out of my current department for no good reason.... Also, there are so many employees, so much competition for jobs that do open. No procedure implemented to what we do, basically run around like chickens with our heads cut off. Structure is very little...

I had high hopes when I took this job. I thought I would put my time in and move to something that might bring me some enjoyment in life. That's been squashed because apparently, management is allowed to block employees for no good reason. There should be a valid reason and this should be discussed with the employee by HR. How do you know the supervisor is being honest?

62 Other Employee Reviews for Dominion Resources (View Most Recent)

Disappointing

I have been working at Dominion Resources

Pros

It's a company with a great amount of class. Very proud to say I work here. Management and vast majority of employees/peers are very competent and care a great deal about what they do.

Cons

Promotions are currently only given if approved by the top management. Feels like they're setting us up to fail and not succeed. Employee recognition for doing an above and beyond job is nonexistent. It is expected that one stays all hours of the night to complete work that isn't even all that pressing. Departments may be big but generally one is either blocked from moving where they want or suddenly told that they are being transferred, usually due to whatever "reorg" management dreams up today. Management seems to not care whatsoever about employees; we are viewed as totally replaceable. "Secrets" are leaked far earlier than management realizes, yet they stay mum on the subject until they deem necessary. Zero transparency. Very uptight corporate culture, unnecessary bureaucracy and red tape. Some managers are extremely stressed and have no work-life balance and either micromanage their employees to the nth degree or are completely non-existent. People are quick to throw each other under the bus. Lots of little cliques and way too much gossip.

Give a crap about your employees. People here are competent (for the most part) and would like the opportunity to prove their worth. Stop pretending nothing is going on when stuff is going on. Relax a little bit. Don't make your employees work all hours of the night. Don't micromanage. Be present, but not overbearing. Speak up when your employees do a good job, so that they continue to get the opportunities they deserve. Give your employees what they need to succeed, and watch them do it.

Dominion caters to the good ole boy mentality. Life is too short.

I have been working at Dominion Resources

Pros

Decent wages and benefits.
    Peers are friendly.

Cons

Management credits employees for backstabbing behavior.
    Dominion does not allow diversity within the employee base.
    Dominion management exhibits favortism within the corporate structure.

You should listen to your moral compass.

There are newer employer reviews for Dominion Resources