Dow Chemical

www.dow.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical

Technologist delivering high quality of work with safety, consistency, dedication, and mindset of continueous improvemen

Current Employee - Technologist, M&E in Marlborough, MA
Current Employee - Technologist, M&E in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Growth opportunities, business stability, environmental friendliness, in-house skill development, experienced and trust based management, competative salary structures, good benefits.

Cons

Strong engineering based higher education preferences may sometimes filter capable and exceptional candidates from growth opportunities and valuable contributions in-house.

Seek out more exceptional and company dedicated employees within and promote a "reaching hand" philosophy to support them with less restricted tuition reimbursement and one-on-one coaching time with seasoned Dow managers and professionals to breed and foster the next generation of leaders and contributors. Some branches of Dow (including the microelectronics materials devision) require extensive long-term training and often carry a portion of tribal knowledge that is not easily substituted even with premium higher education studies. Allegro Microsystems Inc is a prime example of successfully investing in employees by means of in-house university training, mentoring, and promoting growth within (for the deserving candidates) resulting in an average employee tenure of over 5.5 years! Prior to outsourcing its Fab operations to China, Evergreen Solar's average employee tenure was only about 1.5 years. Investing up to 12 months of training (per employee) in learning a rather complex, yet very promising new String Ribbon Technology, but inability to create a Team oriented and mission based environment proved to be very costly for the company. Dow is much more mature in this aspect, and my only advice at the moment to our leadership is not to take any floor level employee feedback for granted, as change most often starts from "top down", yet its success is so reliant on how it is embraced, implemented, and respected from the "bottom up".

579 Other Employee Reviews for Dow Chemical (View Most Recent)

I have loved my job and am very proud, just wish I was able to pursue what has been on my EDP for 4 years

Current Employee - Client Service Administrator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Client Service Administrator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

the flexibilty and work life balance are hard to beat, the pay is also wonderful, as well as the benefits

Cons

the company is so large that you are basically just an employee. The leadership usually isn't directly involved with your work and unless you are great at tooting your own horn, some accomplishments get overlooked. Also, that can be detrimental to career development and promotions.

Focus more on your OWN employees when jobs open up, don't go outside or use contractors. I have seen SO MANY contractors off the street get the job that was in my EDP for 4 years and that I had networked and worked so hard for. That is VERY heartbreaking to watch and surely does not improve employee morale.

I am thankful that Dow hired me 7yrs ago so that I can support my family.

Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Packaging Operator in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

close to home, the pay, benefits, those that I work with we are like family. For that I am blessed.

Cons

it's a Chemical Plant, the fighting among different groups, the disrespect and bulling that goes on.

It would be nice to actually meet Andrew Liveris. Management needs to do more for the "little guy". Instead of hiding out in the Corporate Office they need to actually meet the blue collar worker.

There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical