Dow Chemical

www.dow.com
There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical

Good company to work for

Current Employee - A-5 in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - A-5 in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Flexibility to do my job; resources available which enables ability to get work done; products are top of the line; 95% of the people are great to work with; fitness center; credit union; cafeteria; health center

Cons

We are a global company and such we must deal with the different time zones which means at times you are working at night (but if that is as bad as it gets...I really have no complaints).

Keep listening or listen to the GEOAS

605 Other Employee Reviews for Dow Chemical (View Most Recent)

Not the company it use to be

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Big company, so there are many places to go if your job doesn't suit you. Generally everyone is very nice to each other, although in times of stress, the mandated forced ranking can make some do less than nice things.

Cons

Company forces 5% of the population into "needs improvement". These people are generally fired within a year (although not publicised, there are nearly annual downsizings). They say this is done for population renewal, but as we've been doing this for several years, the bottom 5% are actually very good people (and we don't really hire new people).

Your vision is not carried through the organization. Maybe that's a good thing given how screwed up things are right now.

An honest opinion

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Midland, MI

I have been working at Dow Chemical

Pros

Above average pay for corporate employer. Decent benefits. Reasonably flexible time off as needed for vacation and time off for family reasons.

Cons

Limited upward mobility, completely incompetent upper management, discriminatory pay and promotion practices (blatant reverse discrimination). Poor recognition outside the standard pay program. Arrogant management whose value on the open market would be half of what it is in other big cities. A huge premium given to years of Dow service years vs. diversity of thinking and other experiences. Advanced degrees required for some positions but way under represented in upper management. Criteria for promotions and certain positions are secretive and not open. HR compensation package now heavily weighted to giving all bonuses and long term compensation to just top 5% vs. top 20% as before. Very strong performers have been left out and are therefore treated no different than average to poor performers.

Retire and allow people that actually went to business school run a Fortune 50 company. Working 25 years at Dow by itself doesn't make you competent enough to run a billion dollar company. This is obvious from all the miscues over the past 10+ years. Bad strategy, bad execution, bad cash management, bad cyclicality management, bad M&A decisions, bad investor relations.....

There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical