There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical

Do-Your-Time Mentality

Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dow has a collaborative, friendly, family-oriented culture. When Dow hires you, they're hiring all of you and expect to keep you for your career. Most things (except the constant restructuring) about the culture reflect this. Career-long development allows you experience multiple types of roles.

Cons

I think they will have a lot of trouble keeping younger talent in HR in the coming years. Early roles are not strategic enough or challenging enough to keep us interested. Eventually, you get to do the fun stuff but you have to do your time first.
Compensation for my education and field is below market. This is because Dow's comp philosophy is under market at beginning of employment and eventually evens out... Hence the 'do your time' mentality. Hard work and commitment pays off EVENTUALLY....
The feeling of 'always doing, yet never done' cycles with a feeling of 'give me something meaningful to do please'.
All roads lead to Midland. Being anywhere but there impedes your career.

Consider developing new talent differently. We are different than prior generations. We want to be challenged with meaningful work. Stretch us. Remember that we have brains and want to use them. If you continue to offer lower than market compensation for early career-jobs that will provide little personal fullfilment, we will not stick around long enough to "do our time" and you'll be left with gaping holes in your succession plans. What go you here, won't get you there.

reviews filtered by
  1. Can have a good work life balance - at the expense of compensation

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Plaquemine, LA
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Plaquemine, LA

I have been working at Dow Chemical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance is great
    you track your own vacation
    good culture - most people are willing to help young people
    take home laptop's and vpn access to email allows for flexible work schedules

Cons

compensation and benefits - could easily go to a competitor in the local area and get 30% raise - with same or better benefits
    diversity is a good thing - but Dow takes it to far - with hiring and promotion practices

Abolish diversity targets - increase compensation - or find something else that appeals to young engineers - otherwise - you will be in a bad place in the next 5 to 10 years

2. Dow Chemical is a great company to work for

Former Intern - Supply Chain Analyst in Midland, MI
    Former Intern - Supply Chain Analyst in Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Dow was a very family oriented company and had a small town feel to it, although it is such a large company.

Cons

You can tell that the people higher up are treated better then the people on the bottom.

There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical