Dow Chemical

www.dow.com

Do-Your-Time Mentality

Lead Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsDow has a collaborative, friendly, family-oriented culture. When Dow hires you, they're hiring all of you and expect to keep you for your career. Most things (except the constant restructuring) about the culture reflect this. Career-long development allows you experience multiple types of roles.

ConsI think they will have a lot of trouble keeping younger talent in HR in the coming years. Early roles are not strategic enough or challenging enough to keep us interested. Eventually, you get to do the fun stuff but you have to do your time first.
Compensation for my education and field is below market. This is because Dow's comp philosophy is under market at beginning of employment and eventually evens out... Hence the 'do your time' mentality. Hard work and commitment pays off EVENTUALLY....
The feeling of 'always doing, yet never done' cycles with a feeling of 'give me something meaningful to do please'.
All roads lead to Midland. Being anywhere but there impedes your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider developing new talent differently. We are different than prior generations. We want to be challenged with meaningful work. Stretch us. Remember that we have brains and want to use them. If you continue to offer lower than market compensation for early career-jobs that will provide little personal fullfilment, we will not stick around long enough to "do our time" and you'll be left with gaping holes in your succession plans. What go you here, won't get you there.

A great opportunity to get started at a high level

Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) Midland, MI

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern

Pros: Even from day one given the opportunity to make a difference within the… Cons: Some disconnection between management and lower workers. Issues with getting enough work to… Advice to Senior Management: The talent within the organization is clearly there, however they aren't always put in the best situation to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

As an intern for DOW, I was most satisfied that my coworkers treated me as equal to them.

Intern (Former Employee) Edina, MN

I worked at Dow Chemical as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Well known for having competitive pay rates, coworkers were generally amiable and quick… Cons: Although safety is VERY important, it often became daunting doing safety meetings/checks, felt like it slowed… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Dow Chemical.

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!