Dow Chemical

www.dow.com

Do-Your-Time Mentality

Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Lead Human Resources Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Dow has a collaborative, friendly, family-oriented culture. When Dow hires you, they're hiring all of you and expect to keep you for your career. Most things (except the constant restructuring) about the culture reflect this. Career-long development allows you experience multiple types of roles.

Cons

I think they will have a lot of trouble keeping younger talent in HR in the coming years. Early roles are not strategic enough or challenging enough to keep us interested. Eventually, you get to do the fun stuff but you have to do your time first.
Compensation for my education and field is below market. This is because Dow's comp philosophy is under market at beginning of employment and eventually evens out... Hence the 'do your time' mentality. Hard work and commitment pays off EVENTUALLY....
The feeling of 'always doing, yet never done' cycles with a feeling of 'give me something meaningful to do please'.
All roads lead to Midland. Being anywhere but there impedes your career.

Consider developing new talent differently. We are different than prior generations. We want to be challenged with meaningful work. Stretch us. Remember that we have brains and want to use them. If you continue to offer lower than market compensation for early career-jobs that will provide little personal fullfilment, we will not stick around long enough to "do our time" and you'll be left with gaping holes in your succession plans. What go you here, won't get you there.

Other reviews for Dow Chemical

As an intern for DOW, I was most satisfied that my coworkers treated me as equal to them.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Edina, MN

Pros

Well known for having competitive pay rates, coworkers were generally amiable and quick to offer help and ideas, generally a collaborative environment which made working there enjoyable.

Cons

Although safety is VERY important, it often became daunting doing safety meetings/checks, felt like it slowed down the day. I also saw some of the technicians treated almost as if they were dispensable.

Very rewarding internship with quality projects

Current Employee - Intern  in  Freeport, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, TX

Pros

Awesome work/life balance and corporate culture
    Great experience
    Prestigious name to have on resume in college

Cons

Certain plants advance employees much more quickly than others, seems unfair to folks at smaller plants

Great job

There are newer employer reviews for Dow Chemical.

Worked for Dow Chemical? Contribute to the Community!